The Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) Manager is responsible for running and supervising water, sanitation and hygiene programs at all stages of the project management cycle. He/she is also responsible for accomplishing the program objectives and outcomes within the contextual constraints. The PM ensures the overall success of the program by making sure the WASH team completes the defined activities while adhering to internal standards and contractual obligations; write proposals and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget.
Further objectives for the WASH PM concern the capacity building, management and mentoring of staff; humanitarian needs identification through monitoring of the evolving situation; context analysis to contribute to the development of future programs; Assess WASH needs, design projects, Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in WASH delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and a strong link to IMC health and Nutrition .
This position will report to the WASH Coordinator, with day-to-day supervision from the Field Coordinator, and will be based in Aden, with extensive travel to field sites in the south of Yemen.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
WASH Project Management
• Rapidly adapt design and overall response to the changing context, taking into account the needs of affected communities, current level and capacity of actors, and IMC Yemen growth and expansion strategy.
• Manage the assigned WASH project(s) to meet the project objectives within budget, set time frame, quality, and standards.
• Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project(s), working to ensure both short / long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local WASH staff.
• Develop and implement an appropriate and effective WASH strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators, for WASH activities in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers, and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
• Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
• Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
• Select and design emergency water interventions, suitable hygiene promotion strategy for IDPs, conflict affected communities and institutions like schools and health facilities.
• Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to IMC, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
• Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
• Line manage the WASH officer(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training etc.
• Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, appraise performance against set objectives on a regular basis.
• Overall responsibility for staff work plans, vacation schedules, and development activities and maintain a professional and open relation with team members, promoting a strong spirit and providing oversight and guidance to allow for successful team performance.
• Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of project objectives, and opportunity for feedback
• Provide staff coaching and technical supervision to develop ownership / responsibility for WASH activities.
• Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet IMC and donor standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
• Manage the program budget through the passing of timely orders, the preparation of monthly forecasts and the monitoring of expenditure.
Communication and Coordination
• Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, IMC senior management and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
• Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing IMC and feeding back to the WASH staff and senior management on relevant issues.
• Liaise, as necessary, with the WASH, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are planned, procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
• Work with Logistics team to ensure WASH staff adhere to set procedures of procurement and logistics
• Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with IMC, Donor, country and International standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
• In coordination with M&E team, design and develop appropriate supervisory, monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability systems for WASH and in some instances integrated interventions
Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.