About the organization:
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is therefore seeking a WASH Technical Assistant-Hygiene Promotion for the NRC Office in Kibondo-Kigoma, Tanzania. The WASH Technical Assistant-Hygiene Promotion will report to the WASH Officer-Hygiene Promotion
To apply for this position please go to NRC website at www.nrc.no and follow the “VACANCIES” link.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services, specifically hand washing facilities
- Conduct house to house visits, focus group discussions and mass hygiene campaigns to sensitize the community on good hygiene practices – upon request
- Carry out community mobilization and sensitization of all NRC WASH activities.
- Conduct school visits to create awareness on proper usage WASH facilities in schools and reports any anomalies
- Assess and analyze emerging public health needs and recommends sustainable practical solutions
- Collate data from the incentive workers, and prepare regular reports on activities and WASH conditions for monitoring.
- Participate in needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene; participates in the choice of items, targeting strategy, distribution, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Prepares reports of WASH related activities
- Facilitate community mobilization for all activities related to the provision of sanitation facilities and hygiene promotion, in close coordination with the NRC shelter team
- Support the effective implementation of all WASH activities
- Support WASH Officer with the preparation of IEC materials and hygiene promotion campaigns upon request
- Take account of gender, protection, HIV, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns in program design, implementation, and reporting; carries out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, minority groups, children, and people with disabilities
- Capacity building, supervision and monitoring of refugee community workers
- Represent NRC in relevant meetings
- Experience from working as an WASH Assistant or Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, oral and written
- Participate in appropriate professional development of project portfolio
- At all times in and outside work adhere to NRC Code of Conduct
- Diploma in Public Health or relevant professional experience. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
- Experience in community mobilization
- Knowledge of Kirundi
- Political and cultural awareness
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc)
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected