General context of the project
INTERSOS has been working in South Sudan since 2006 with humanitarian assistance programs aimed to respond urgent needs and to provide life-saving assistance and emergency relief to host communities, IDPs and returnees affected by on-going crisis.
With regard to sectors of interventions, INTERSOS has been major contributing humanitarian organization in WASH sector, mainly in greater Equatorias.
South Sudan is currently experiencing one of the most protracted widespread of Cholera and other water borne diseases as poor WASH services remains major public health challenge. Large number of population do not have access to safe water and adequate sanitation.
Yambio, Ezo and Nzara countries of Western Equatorial State have experienced periodic population displacement resulting to worsening the water and sanitation services where most WASH services are destroyed, non-functional or dilapidated. Rapid need assessment conducted by WASH cluster in WES revealed immediate need for humanitarian assistance in WASH sector.
The WASH project, developed under general WASH context, will provide
lifesaving WASH support in response to the specific needs of IDPs, Host Communities, children, women and vulnerable groups in Western Equatoria state.
General purpose of the position
The WASH Project Manager is responsible for overall management and supervision of water, sanitation and hygiene project activities at all phases of the project in target areas of Western Equatoria and Eastern Equatoria states.
He/ She will also be responsible for achieving project objectives and will coordinate with NFIs/WASH Program Coordinator and the project team to ensure successful implementation of the WASH project.
The WASH PM will ensure that the project is completed within set time, budget and set quality.
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Be responsible for implementation of the ongoing WASH projects according to the signed Agreement and further modification approved by the donors
- Be responsible for assessments, projects design, reports (final and interim) preparations for institutional and public funding
- Be responsible for the timely submission of project proposals as well as external and internal reports to donors and clusters
- In coordination with logistics and finance the PM will be responsible of the preparation of all the accounting documents, including tender and procurement for intermediate and final financial reports required by donors
- Ensure a steady and active representation of INTERSOS at cluster level as well in all the other, significant meetings (i.e. coordination among WASH partners.)
- At field level maintain good relationship with the Donors and involve the NFIs/WASH Program Coordinator whereas strategic opportunity can arise
- Support the WASH Coordination to analyse opportunity of expansion of WASH activities in Western Equatoria and Eastern Equatoria
- Maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian situation and propose the coordinator to adjust activities accordingly
- In coordination of M&E manager supervise and monitor the construction of WASH infrastructures as envisaged in the project proposal
- Coordinate with local authorities in Yambio and Ikoto/ Magwi
Education: Degree in Civil engineer and Public Health Engineering or any equivalent degree
- Two years’ relevant work experience dealing with WASH projects, preferably in South Sudan
- Past overseas experience essential
- Experience in managing teams
- Prior experience and knowledge of working under humanitarian Cluster mechanism highly desirable
- Expertise in government, non-governmental, and community capacity building for WASH
- Knowledge of new advance technologies
Languages: Fluency in spoke and written English
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field and cope with stress
- Willingness to learn and take responsibility
- Management and leadership skills
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Willingness to accept basic living standards. Incumbent will be deployed to Yambio and Torit, where living standard is basic (if not extremely challenging) comparing to standard in developed countries