PEGASYS is an advisory group driving developmental impact in emerging economies. We work to solve complex problems and improve overall quality of life. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, and support our clients to develop infrastructure and manage natural resources.Our specialists are from a broad range of disciplines, which include engineering, law, finance, economics, international relations, policy, the humanities and science. Together we form a multidisciplinary team and bring our diverse skillset and experience to take on challenges facing the developmental sector.
Natural Resource / Environmental Economist
- Full-time position (in the Resilience practice)
- Location – Pretoria
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Resource Economics, Development Economics, Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics and / or a combination of relevant qualifications in related fields like Geography, Environmental Science and / or Ecology.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in international development as a policy and strategy specialist.
- Good analytical and quantitative capabilities with a working knowledge of micro economic theory, development economics, statistics, and quantitative methods to measure economic costs and benefits.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research studies and economic analysis, resource valuation, financial and economic appraisals for natural resources and environmental projects.
- Must have a good understanding of project finance in general and undertaking financial and economic appraisals.
- Must be familiar with a range of non-market valuation techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and exposure to Climate finance, precisely knowledge of the institutions and application processes.
- Good experience of conducting research, creating evidence bases and influencing policy and strategy
- Demonstrated project management and stakeholder engagement experience.
- Good knowledge of spreadsheets and / or any other quantitative tools.
- Excellent report writing, and research skills is a must.
- A demonstrable track-record of excellence.
- Experience in a Multilateral Development Institution like; World Bank, AfDB, GIZ, EU, SADC, NEPAD, GCF (including development donors or financial institutions) will be an added advantage.
- A keen interest or previous exposure to any one (or all) of the following areas: climate change, international development, natural resources, land use management, infrastructure, bio-diversity and ecosystem services.
- Excellent working knowledge of and practical application of economic and financial principles in the valuation and modelling of real assets.
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
This role calls for several specific skills and characteristics in the candidate, including:
- Excellent research skills and ability to present analyses in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated and demonstrable high standards of achievement.
- An energetic problem-solver, who is open-minded with multi-perspective views on; international development, climate change, and broader natural resource economics.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic, unpredictable work environment
- A versatile candidate with a strong ability to multi-task and prioritize own work.
- Attention to detail, independent, self-driven and highly motivated.
- Ability to work towards a desired outcome in a complex and uncertain environment;
- Ability and willingness to work in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Good time management, with the ability to meet task deadlines within time-frames and budget;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrable ability to clearly break down and explain a complex topic verbally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to contribute towards making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed individuals can have a significant impact.
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
HDI preferred but not a constraining requirement.
Closing date: 28 February 2018