The ECF is seeking applications for an experienced and highly driven individual to take on the role of Director of the International Climate Politics Hub (ICP), hosted by the European Climate Foundation.
The role of Director is an exciting opportunity to work closely with the ECF, Executive Director, Global Policies, as well as the ICP strategic partners, funders and grantees, to leverage and drive the delivery of increased ambition on international climate action by 2020.
In particular, together with the ECF Executive Director, and the ICP strategic partners, funders and grantees, the ICP Director will work to strengthen the existing international climate network of inside-game political influencers and advisers, to increase alignment around a co-designed political strategy across diverse stakeholders, and to proactively target key champions / allies to support the necessary momentum-building ahead of 2020.
The role will suit a candidate with significant leadership experience and expertise in international climate politics and strategy development and execution, as well as substantial team management experience. The selected candidate will work closely with and report to the ECF Executive Director, Global Policies. The candidate will manage the International Climate Politics Hub team, and perform the range of tasks outlined in the duties and responsibilities section below
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the ECF Executive Director, the ICP strategic partners, funders and grantees, develop and implement political strategies around key international moments and issues within the international climate change arena. This will include the following:
- Identifying and delivering a range of appropriate and effective tactical interventions to secure core political outcomes, focussed on increasing climate ambition.
- Triaging and challenging intelligence from international climate networks and allies.
- Collaborating with senior leads within ECF, key partners and other philanthropies to ensure coordination and cohesiveness around key strategies.
- Provide leadership on briefings and political analysis developed by the International Climate Politics Hub. This will comprise:
- Synthesising information and intelligence from key partners and diplomatic allies into meaningful analysis and political scenarios pertaining to key events and moments.
- Managing the process (coordination, strategic review, final approval) for producing diplomatic briefings and other political products by the International Climate Politics Hub, including in rapid response situations.
- Targeting the delivery / distribution of these briefings to ensure that they are deployed effectively to achieve maximum impact.
- Manage and drive processes for animating and aligning key partners (ranging from NGOs to high level diplomatic leaders) to undertake political interventions ahead of and during key moments within the climate calendar. This will comprise:
- Developing and implementing an operational strategy and structure which facilitates effective animation and activation within both climate and non-climate constituencies.
- Working with partners and grantees to co-design an effective political strategy and ensuring alignment around the implementation of said strategy.
- Proactively targeting existing and new key voices and high level political assets to support the necessary momentum-building for enhanced climate action over the period 2018-2020.
- Under the supervision of the ECF Executive Director, provide programme management, operational and financial leadership for the International Climate Group, most particularly the International Climate Politics Hub. This will include the following:
- Programme management, planning and implementation.
- Line management of 3-4 staff members within the International Climate Politics Hub.
- Budget, grants, contracts and invoice approval.
- Development of fundraising proposals and leadership of discussions with funders.
- Reporting to funders and partners.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in international climate policy, environmental communications or advocacy, and/or focus on convening and coalition building around issues of climate, economics, or political strategy.
- Advanced degree in business, politics, economics or law desirable.
- Significant leadership experience in developing and implementing political strategy and tactics, for instance, expertise in delivering targeted political campaigns on challenging issues.
- Robust government, NGO, business and philanthropic networks within the international climate politics arena.
- Excellent strategic thinker, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation plans.
- Proactive, entrepreneurial spirit, with a proven ability to work well under pressure, take initiative and be a creative problem solver.
- Strong operational management skills, specifically experience in staff, programme and budget management.
- Ability to work in networks and coordinate amongst a wide variety of stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication, with the ability to crystallise complex issues into effective and readable strategy documents.
- Fluency in English required; ability to speak other languages desirable.
What we can offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself
- A 2 years employment contract
- A competitive salary
Location: London, Paris or Brussels
Start date: As soon as possible
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter in English to the following email address:
Indicate ´Recruitment – Director International Climate Politics Hub´ in the Subject line. Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications: 11 March 2018