Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is seeking Sr. Geographic Information System (GIS) Data Analyst/ Scientist Professionalpreferably with 10+ years experience in geospatial analyses. This position will support a wide array of projects at the national, regional, and local scales. Candidates will have strong competencies and demonstrated experience using analytical, statistical and numerical techniques to conduct spatially-informed analyses. Candidates will possess proven capability to assess business needs, develop solutions, detail work processes, and test outputs against the business requirements.
This position will mostly focus on advanced data analyses and analytics efforts in support of several Federal and State contracts in our Fairfax, VA office. This is an excellent career opportunity for an individual to join a team of professionals while working in a multidisciplinary consulting and engineering firm. The position offers great potential for professional growth and the opportunity to apply technical capabilities to challenges in resilience, climate adaptation, and natural resource management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and/or collaborate on the development of national scale geospatial analytical modeling efforts.
- Lead and/or collaborate on geospatial data collection, development, processing, cleaning, and validation.
- Develop scripts to automate data input preparation, process implementation and structure output format.
- Conceive, oversee and/or implement quality control processes for geospatial analyses products and services.
- Innovate methods to expedite and streamline large geospatial analytic processes.
- Conduct data analyses and package results tailored for both technical and non-technical audience.
- Coordinate with the internal and external stakeholders to collect requirements, inform analyses, and develop presentations of results.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently, both verbally and in writing, analytical results to internal and external stakeholders, including developing graphics.
- As needs arise, expected to be available to deploy on at least one, 6-month, FEMA related post-disaster assignment, as appropriate.
Required Skills and Required Experience:
Must have experience that demonstrates a strong background in the application of geospatial analyses utilizing GIS and skills to execute efficient solutions. The candidate should have strong organizational skills, as well as the ability to multi-task and work independently and as a team player.
- Masters or Ph.D. in GIS, Data Engineering, Data Science, Computer science, operation research or any quantitatively related fields, or equivalent professional experience.
- Deep experience in geospatial processing and GIS software packages such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and PostGIS.
- Strong experience in designing and implementing geospatial algorithms.
- Strong experience in programming algorithms using software packages such as R, Python, C++ (including packages such as pandas, Numpy, SciPy, etc.).
- Strong experience with relational databases such as SQL, Access, and PostgresQL.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, D3.js, and Visual.ly
- Preferred experience in implementation of distributed computing frameworks such as MapReduce, Spark, Hive, or Impala.
- Preferred knowledge of machine learning packages such as TensorFlow, Keras, etc.
- Innovation, enthusiasm, and creativity – ability to develop new ideas and to chart a path .
- Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments concurrently.
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.