The position is assigned in the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division (SDCD) of Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department (SDCC). SDCC is the focal point of sector and thematic work in ADB, hosting the secretariats of 7 sector groups (Education, Energy, Finance, Health, Transport, Urban, and Water) and 6 thematic groups (Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Gender Equity, Governance, Rural Development and Food Security, and Social Development). SDCD is also playing the role of secretariat for coordinating the Bank’s efforts in assisting its DMCs to transition to low-carbon and climate and disaster-resilient development pathways, through, among others, the development of policies and strategies, investment operations support, facilitation of access to finance and provision of knowledge and partnerships.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a 2-3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term.
As part of the Experts Pool initiative, the selected candidate is expected to provide substantive technical advice to regional (operations) departments in designing 2-3 climate resilience investment projects per year through a combination of ongoing advisory services, document reviews, contribution-oriented knowledge products and mission support. Their goal is to contribute to the implementation of ADB climate change adaptation program, with a view to enabling the achievement of ADB’s commitment to enhance its investments in adaptation to $ 2 billion by 2020. The incumbent will report to Director, SDCD concurrently Chief of Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Thematic Group, and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
a. Climate Change Adaptation Strategies
- Support the integration of climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction policies and frameworks.
- Provide intellectual leadership in the development of resilience metrics to enable a comprehensive impact assessment of adaptation investments.
- Provide technical inputs to the preparation of country or sub-regional assessments, including inputs for country programming to ensure climate change adaptation are incorporated in Country Partnership Strategies and Regional Cooperation Strategies.
b. Project Development and Processing
- Lead the provision of technical advice on climate risk management in programs and projects, and identify necessary adaptation measures.
- Provide technical advice on the development of adaptation projects, including through the consideration of climate resilient strategies, policies, practices as well as technologies for achieving sustainable development under a changing climate across various sectors.
- Provide focused strategic advice on investments in the urban and agriculture and natural resources sectors to enhance climate resilience through structural and non-structural adaptation interventions.
- Provide technical advice to operations departments in preparing concepts/proposals and other requirements of various financing facilities.
- Provide advice and thought leadership for the implementation of regional technical assistance (RETA) projects on adaptation, especially focusing on regional cooperation.
c. Knowledge Generation and Sharing
- Source external knowledge and networks to develop guidance notes and technical notes (i.e. sector/ thematic studies and assessments, good practices, and guidelines) to enable achievement of the commitment of $ 2 billion in adaptation financing.
- Provide technical inputs to the development of training and capacity building programs for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environmental Sciences, Economics or Engineering, or related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
- At least 8 to 10 years of relevant experience, including at international level, in management of climate change adaptation-related projects (e.g. leading projects)
- Experience in developing adaptation projects in urban and/or agriculture and natural resources sectors, will be an advantage
- Strong multidisciplinary competence combined with substantial expertise in climate change adaptation, institutions and capacity building
- Familiarity with operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions, and experience in processing and implementation of ADB TAs and loans
- When required, able to act as a mission leader/team lead, exercising supervision coordination, and planning responsibilities over the assigned team, with oversight from the Director or a more senior team leader
- Act as a mentor and coach to more junior team members, providing guidance on projects and processing of loans/technical assistance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5-6
The selected candidate is appointed for a special fixed term of 2-3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.