Terms of Reference
19 February 2018
Proposed dates: March – June 2018 (dates flexible)
Supervisors: Nicolas Delaunay (Partnerships and Resources Mobilization Manager), Molly Robbins (SDG 6 Programme Officer)
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is a global action network with over 3,000 Partner organisations in 178 countries. Founded in 1996, the network has 86 Country Water Partnerships and 13 Regional Water Partnerships.
GWP’s vision is a water secure world. To realise this vision GWP supports countries to advance governance and management of water resources for sustainable and equitable development. This is pursued by promoting Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM), a cross-sectoral policy approach designed to replace the traditional, fragmented sectoral approach that has led to poor services and unsustainable resource use. As a means to achieving long-term impact towards water security, GWP seeks to influence water governance processes through the promotion of IWRM principles. Policy development, strategic planning, legislative change, investment planning and transboundary agreements are examples of such processes and it is here that GWP actively contributes both inside and outside the ‘water box’ at the global, regional, national and subnational levels.
GWPO’s Partnership and Resource Mobilization (PRM) unit provides critical contributions to the overall aim of ensuring GWP is an organization fit for future, providing IWRM related services and solutions that are relevant to address challenges and opportunities for country- and global water related agendas (Agenda 2030, UNFCCC COP, Addis Ababa, Sendai). It also supports GWP’s Regional Water Partnerships (RWP) in their resource mobilization efforts.
This internship offers an excellent opportunity for students interested in corporate social responsibility, sustainable development, and water stewardship to gain exposure to the operations of a network organization that extends from the global level to regional and national levels.
1. Support to GWP’s Private Sector Engagement Strategy
GWP’s multi-stakeholder approach aims to bring all actors to the table, including the private sector. In consultation with key stakeholders and partners, GWP has begun the initial stages of scoping GWP’s Private Sector Engagement Strategy: a cross-cutting strategy seeking to formalize how GWP can help the private sector deliver and scale their contributions to the water security for all agenda.
The intern will support the development of GWP’s private sector engagement strategy. Tasks include:
- Research around themes related to private sector engagement in water security
- Drafting proposal and communications materials around the private sector engagement strategy
- Data analysis from GWP’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework and database
2. General support to Partnerships and Resources Mobilization
In addition to the above, it is envisaged that the intern will provide general support to the broader Partnerships and Resources Mobilization team according to need. Potential tasks include:
- Case-specific research, analysis and writing to support PRM activities at the GWPO Secretariat and throughout GWP’s network
- Development of PRM-related communications materials, including Powerpoints, reports, and social media content
- Development and population of PRM tools, including donor databases and mapping documents
GWP will provide the intern with office space (shared), internet connection, a notebook and all necessary literature needed to fulfil his/her tasks. The intern will also attend regular staff meetings (scheduled every second Tuesday). In addition, the supervisors will conduct regular review meetings with the intern.
GWP has also developed a programme to encourage Interns to enhance their social and learning experience through extracurricular activities such as Career Talks and Lunches with Staff Members.
Interns accepted in the GWP Internship Programme must:
- Be enrolled in an educational programme at the time of application and during the Internship
- Meet all expenses for travel and any expenses beyond the provided stipdend, through financial support from their educational institution, government, scholarships or through personal resources
- Have adequate medical and accident insurances
- Knowledge of/exposure to social entrepreneurship, corporate social responsibility, fundraising or climate finance are an advantage.
- Strong interest in and understanding of water management, climate and/or other environmental sustainability issues.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency in English is a requirement. Copywriting experience is an advantage.
- Strong computer skills including internet navigation and Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong analytical or research skills.
Interested students should send their applications to [email protected] no later than 6 March 2018. Please include “PRM Internship” in the subject heading. All applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter with an introduction of the applicant and their motivation for applying
- Indication of desired time frames for the internship
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Conditions of the internship
The internship is based at the GWP Global Secretariat in Stockholm, Sweden. The internship period can vary in duration depending on the student’s availability and the tasks assigned, with the expectation that the internship last 3 or 4 months with the possibility of an extension.
GWP offers interns an SL travel card to cover travel within Stockholm. GWP offers no remuneration or any other financial support to meet expenses for travel, subsistence or health/accident insurance.
By accepting an internship offered by GWP, the intern will also accept that there is no possibility of employment at the end of his/her internship and for the six months immediately following the end of the internship
Internship Agreement Interns accepted will sign an agreement specifying the duration and the tasks for the internship, the supervisor/coach as well as the requirements GWP has relating to Confidentiality, Intellectual Property Rights, Insurance and Waiver of claims.
Before the internship agreement is signed GWPO shall be provided with proof of medical and accident insurance and any visas or permits required by the Government of Sweden.