Context: Under the overall direction of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in South Sudan, the direct supervision of the Head of Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for the successful implementation and overall management of the portfolio of the Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programmes and projects of IOM in South Sudan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Design and ensure the execution of the overall WASH strategy for IOM in the country.
- Manage the overall implementation of the WASH programme to guarantee that scope, budget, time and quality are in accordance with the different projects specifications, donor requirements and IOM rules and regulations.
- Ensure appropriate and timely resource mobilization for the successful implementation of the different projects and activities including but not limited to: the WASH Programme (Frontline: Static Projects (Emergency and Early Recovery); WASH Mobile Response (Emergency Preparedness and Response – EPnR); WASH Core Pipeline; Cluster Coordination and Gender-Based Violence (GBV) mainstreaming and response.
- Proactively identify programme development opportunities in South Sudan, resource mobilization avenues, new thematic areas of technical intervention and strategic partnerships that would promote the expansion of IOM’s WASH portfolio.
- Liaise effectively with donors at local and regional levels in order to ensure good relationship aimed to strengthen the WASH programme in South Sudan.
- Coordinate closely with the Programme Support Unit regarding project developments, monitoring and reporting.
- Manage and monitor technically and administratively the IOM WASH team in the country. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building are provided to the members of the team. 8. Ensure that the WASH programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework that leads to continuous improvement and fine-tunning of systems and processes.
- Actively liaise with the WASH Cluster, other WASH agencies, government authorities/entities and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM WASH activities are coordinated according to agreed standards, to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community in South Sudan.
- Ensure that any needed agreement or authorization from the local authorities is convened to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
- Ensure effective and active communication with all the relevant stakeholders, internal and external to the IOM WASH Programme. Guarantee that a regular and systematic flow of information is transmitted to the WASH Cluster in accordance with the established reporting requirements. Make sure that the relevant and necessary information is transmitted downstream to all the members of the WASH team on a timely manner. Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the Head of Operations and ensure that all the project data and information is archived and shared appropriately.
- In coordination with the Resource Management Unit and Procurement and Logistics Unit oversee all WASH programme related procurement efforts for supplies and services, ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations. Provide the necessary resources to effectively monitor all contractual agreements with service providers and / or implementing parties.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are integrated in the WASH programming such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and other cross cutting issues related mainstreaming in coordination with the Protection Officer.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Public Health or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in environmental (WASH, Water Sanitation (WATSAN));
- Experience with an international organization or NGO;
- Field experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
- Experience in environmental project implementation, including engineering and M&E activities in the region;
- Experience in partnership engagement and management;
- Computer literate (word processors, spreadsheet, database, CAD and statistical packages, etc.);
- Good knowledge of Sudan and the African region an advantage.
Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
- For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.