The Deputy Programme Manager (DPM) – technical assessments will be based in GOAL’s office in Harem/Darkosh, Syria, reporting to the WASH PM based across Darkosh and Harem, Syria. S/he will line manage the Syria-based GOAL technical team’s engineers, working in close coordination with Water Units and Local Councils. The DPM – technical assessment is responsible for supporting the WASH PM in the needs assessing, prioritizing, and finalizing technical studies for water projects. Responsibilities include reporting of predicted and growing WASH needs within GOAL’s area of operation in Northern Syria. S/he will be the technical lead in preparation and initiation of rehabilitation and maintenance of water systems. The DPM – Technical assessments will support coordination, planning, monitoring and management of WASH programme activities. This will involve working closely with partners and stakeholders (in particular, water Units and Local councils) to ensure effective response to Water needs with in GOAL – WASH AoO. The DPM – Technical Assessments will be responsible for communicating day-to-day WASH technical team and reporting activities through the designated reporting structure as defined by the WASH PM/Co.
Duties, objectives and competencies
- Contribute to the design of WASH projects; ensuring these are informed by an accurate understanding of priority needs and gaps in GOALs areas of operation;
- Assist WASH PM in activities planning and projects prioritizing depending on assessed needs;
- Assist in programme needs assessments to improve the quality of services provided through analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt;
- Travel frequently to programme locations to directly monitor WASH programme activities, and assess performance activities improvements, ensure that all technical data are accurately collected, clear feedback is provided to programme management, and required improvements or necessary changes are reported to ensure project activities meet stated objectives and deliver maximum benefit to targeted beneficiaries;
- Work closely with WASH implementation team to ensure that all implemental studies, BOQs, planned activities are technically compatible with actual needs.
- Assist the WASH PM responding to contingencies by providing rapid needs analysis, bed of quantities, responses’ justifications, plans, and all other necessary requirements of proper and effective response.
- Overall management of WASH technical team to assure producing Water projects BOQs, schemes, drawings, and prepare all necessary contracts’ supportive documents to ensure maximum quality of provided services and activities.
- Produce WASH programmes performance reports in terms of outputs against activity plans and take all-necessary action, in association with the WASH PM, to ensure the programme achieves its objectives within the allotted time and budget and to quality;
- Support water units identifying water projects needs and priority to enhance overall water services and ensuring sustainable projects’ design.
- Assist the WASH PM supporting project partners to ensure project objectives and activity plans are clearly understood and adhered to, and that agreed roles and responsibilities are met by GOAL and partners;
- Assist the WASH PM, and Procurement department to ensure integrated planning and set time bounds for services and materials delivery according on prioritized projects;
- Prepare WASH purchase orders, and liaise with the procurement department in Harim and Antakya to ensure that there are no delays in procuring and delivering WASH programme needs;
- Represent WASH programme in all procurement committees and corporate in bids analysis to assure best quality and materials will be provided;
- Liaise with the M&E team on implementation of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems as well as community feedback mechanisms;
- Translation of technical reports and data generated by the WASH team, ensuring effective communication within the WASH team between Syria/Turkey;
- Ensure that policies and guidelines as laid down in GOAL manuals and policies are adhered to at all times;
- Ensure adherence to GOAL’s Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy and standards of integrity, as well as uphold GOAL’s whistleblowing mechanisms;
- Ensure adherence to the financial guidelines as per the GOAL Dublin Financial Manual;
- Ensure compliance against all donor requirements, including timely quality reporting, as applicable to the project;
- Other related tasks at the request of the WASH PM.
- Fluency in Arabic and English language skills (spoken and written);
- Degree level qualification in engineering, or other related discipline;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in related field;
- Excellent level of technical knowledge of water systems;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Experience of programme design, and needs assessment;
- Experience of staff management and capacity development;
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions;
- Very good computer skills including MS office, and engineering designing programs such as AutoCAD.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work when under pressure;
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organisations an advantage;
- Understanding of water and sanitation provision in the Syrian context.
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in northern Idlib (Harim District)
- Previous experience working with public water and sanitation authorities a distinct advantage;
- High level of engineering designing and mapping programs (Water CAD, GIS, etc.)
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document.
The deadline for applying for this position 28th Feb 2018