Location: Lunda Norte and neighbouring provinces as relevant, Angola
Starting date: January 2018
Duration: 6 months in the country
Reports to: PIN Angola Country Director
Due to armed clashes between militia loyal to Kamuina Nsapu (KN) and the Armed Forces of DRC (FARDC) have occurred in Kasai region in Democratic Republic Congo, as of 29 May 2017 over 30,000 Congolese have fled to Angola over the last months.Approximately some 500 persons are arriving daily mainly from Kamako area to Angola. Refugees are staying at Cacanda and Mussungue reception centres, as well as in surrounding areas of Dundo. 78% of pre-registered asylum-seekers are women, children and elderly. Very few aid agencies are present in Northern Angola and ready to support the refugees.
People in Need (PIN) has been active in Angola since 2006. A team of 8 expatriates and approx. 70 local staff manage several programmes focusing on improving education, livelihoods and food security, water sanitation and hygiene (WASH) conditions and gender-based violence that are implemented in Bié, Humabo and Huíla provinces. For more info seehttp://www.clovekvtisni.cz/en/humanitary-aid/country/angola
In response to the influx of refugees from DRC in northern Angola, PIN deployed Emergency team; and plans to start emergency response.
The Emergency Programme Manager will be responsible for implementation and development of emergency programme in Northern Angola in response to influx of over 30,000 refugees from DRC. Currently, PIN assessment conducts multi-sectoral assessment in the area to identify the urgent needs of the displaced populations. Based on the assessment findings, an emergency response programme will be designed, most likely based on the existing data, the programme will focus on:
- WASH (provision of potable water;
- Construction of latrines and handwashing facilities;
- Hygiene promotion campaigns and distribution of basic hygiene items;
- Distribution of Non Food items.
The implementation of the emergency programme will be done in close cooperation and coordination of the PIN Angola country programme’s senior staff.
- To coordinate program implementation activities in the field (full project cycle management).
- To manage the project team and to coordinate with partners and humanitarian actors.
- To design the most appropriate form and methodology of the response and implement it.
- To liaison with the authorities and donors.
- To continue assessments on the affected population.
- To support fundraising activities including preparation of concepts and project proposals.
- To set-up Monitoring & Evaluation system and ensuring reaching of planned results and objectives.
- To ensure that all PIN’s internal procedures, PIN’s Code of Conduct and relevant policies as well as donors’ requirements are met, including procurement rules, reporting, and visibility requirements.
- To supervise programme’s financial management.
- To supervise the logistics directly related to the emergency programme.
- To supervise and enforce compliance of the project teams with security rules.
Suitable candidate has:
- Proven working experience in humanitarian context, especially with programme management;
- Experience and technical knowledge of WASH sector or civil or construction engineering is a significant advantage;
- Experience with projects designing and strategic planning, PCM, knowledge of the institutional donors environment;
- Sound understanding of principles of humanitarian aid;
- Excellent working knowledge of English;
- At least intermediate knowledge of Portuguese is essential, preferably with previous work experience in Portuguese-speaking countries;
- Experience with team management;
- Excellent communication skills and cultural sensitivity;
- Knowledge/experience of the country is a significant advantage;
- Mature, well-balanced personality able to work independently in challenging environment.
- Work experience with professional and flexible NGO, the largest one in Central Europe;
- Remuneration: 2900 – 3600 USD per month (before taxation, including per diem);
- Accommodation and local transport costs covered;
- Financial bonuses based on performance twice a year;
- Costs of visas and vaccination covered;
- 25 days of leave per year;
- Medical and psychological helpdesk (in Czech Republic, provided in English);
- Travel medical insurance (covers the health care incl. the repatriation);
How to apply:
Interested applicants for the position should send their CV and cover letter as soon as possible via green button “APPLY“. As a subject please use “Emergency Programme Manager – Angola“.
Please note that only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you.