As a result of its geography, location and climate variability, Peru faces a variety of potential threats: the El Niño Southern Oscillation, torrential rains, landslides, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, droughts, cold spells and epidemics. The means of subsistence are under additional threat due to climate change as well as the local degradation of the environment. These factors, along with high levels of vulnerability that characterize the urban and rural populations of Peru, lead to potential disaster scenarios. In this context, UNDP supports its counterparts in putting in place actions that reduce disaster risks and strengthen capacities for recovery in a disaster situation.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Technical Advisor, Ecosystems and Climate Change and in collaboration with the Programme Unit staff and Deputy Resident Representative, the Advisor is responsible for contributing policy and programme advisory services and resource mobilization related to UNDP’s Disaster Risk Management programme portfolio in Peru. The Advisor supports the programme team’s efforts in the strategic planning and the identification of new programme opportunities within the thematic areas of Disaster Risk Management and Resilience, while ensuring consistency with UNDAF/ CPD priorities and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities.
The Advisor analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within the DRM portfolio. He/she contributes to policy dialogue with the government counterparts providing policy advisory services as well as supporting the identification of top-notch national and international energy and environment practitioners to further this dialogue.
The Advisor works to ensure the execution of quality and coherent policy advice and programming as well as alignment with the UNDP Strategic Plan. She/he advances the mission of the UNDP and increases the credibility and recognition in this thematic area. She/he works in close collaboration with UNDP´s programme staff, the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and trust funds as well as civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
The Advisor also supports the identification of emerging opportunities for resource mobilization with partners, external donors and trust funds as they relate to areas of Disaster Risk Management while leading and providing guidance in the development of internal and external knowledge networks of practitioners in these thematic areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Technical Advisor, Ecosystems and Climate Change, the Advisor is responsible for day-to-day management of the UNDP programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support of the disaster risk management project portfolio management
- Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Support development of programme strategies to integrate disaster risk management across UNDP programming
- Support of strategic partnerships creation and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following:
1. Support effective management of his/her projects in his/her assigned portfolio focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
- Substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NIM and DIM projects.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re‐phasing exercises, closure of projects through review.
- Coherence and articulation with other UNDP programme areas, ensuring integration of Disaster Risk Management best practices in integrated development solutions, particularly those related to territorial sustainable development.
2. Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy‐driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Conduct analysis of data, case evidence and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes to support policy development and innovation.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Contribute to development of guidance in the specific thematic area, and related tools for the implementation of global policy standards.
- Keep an up-to-date library of knowledge related to the thematic area at country level and proactively share documents with colleagues.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice. Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on DRM issues.
- Contribution to knowledge building and policy development in support of the coupling of DRM strategies.
3. Support development of programme strategies to integrate disaster risk management across UNDP programming focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct relevant analysis and guidance and prepare initial drafts of technical policy advice and programme support documents.
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions related to Disaster Risk Management maximizing their articulation and coherence with broader development solutions.
- Incorporate gender equality and human rights’-based approach in policy and programming work.
- Support programme strategies implementation in other practice areas as required.
4. Support creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Undertake research for partnership building and resource mobilization, developing first draft of papers and marketing materials. Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Lead the resource mobilization and development of partnerships in his/her portfolio with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bilateral and multi‐lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within the area of Disaster Risk Management. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets in line with the Country Programme Document (CPD).
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate and comparative advantages.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives
- Gathers and analyses feedback from staff
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.2: Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.2: Basic monitoring
- Gathers, analyses and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Political Sciences, Environmental Management, Social Sciences, Geography, Public Administration, Economics, Engineering, Architecture, or related field; with specialization in Disaster Risk Management and/or Climate Change Adaptation.
At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management and substantive advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in the field of Disaster Risk Management and/or Climate Change Adaptation.
Application Deadline based on NY time, please consider the time difference between Peru and NY (USA).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individual from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.