Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance. These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity. FHI360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
FHI360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions
The ATO – WASH will provide technical and programmatic support in one of the three field sites. Under the supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the ATO – WASH will supervise contracts to provide upgrades to water systems, latrines, showers and water points. Other responsibilities will include conducting water quality testing for all water points rehabilitated under the program and working with Community Volunteers and latrine users to develop cleaning and maintenance schedules for latrines.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensuring appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH construction activities per technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment.
- Overseeing the quality of the need assessment and technical assessment. You will develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training.
- Implementing the FHI360 WASH project by planning, integrating and managing the project cycle and creating timely internal and external reports.
- Representing FHI360 externally in both the Humanitarian Community and with Government/LGAs officials as well as developing strong links with WASH and NGO actors. Actively participate in WASH meetings and other Government/UN forums at LGA level.
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of all the WASH construction (water points and latrines) activities in the IDP camps and community in the LGAs.
- Liaise with Water Technician at the LGA level to conduct monthly/Quarterly water quality surveillance/testing program.
- In collaboration with Environmental Health Officer, monitor WASH NFIs supply chain and stock levels in collaboration with warehouse/stores and logistics.
- Work along with team to ensure reliant water supply for all purposes throughout the IDP camps in the LGA.
- Ensure appropriate and safe collection, transport, treatment and disposal of all liquid and solid wastes in the IDP camps.
- Compile weekly, monthly, quarterly plans and reports on general Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion project works in the project implementation area for strategic interventions.
- This is not an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of this post and the post-holder may, from time to time, be required to undertake any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as requested.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of WASH and humanitarian programming in emergency situations.
- WASH technical expertise especially in regards to engineering latrines, showers and water points.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English & Hausa communication.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA/BS in engineering with 1 to 3 years’ relevant experience in WASH with a sound understanding of hygiene in humanitarian relief settings.
- Possession of an or post graduate degree in a WASH/Engineering is required.
- Familiarity with Humanitarian NGOs.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.