arche noVa – initiative for people in need is a religiously independent non-profit- and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Dresden/Germany working primarily in the field of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. Our primary focus is Water and Sanitation.
The organisation is based in Dresden, Germany, and is a member of Aktion Deutschland Hilft (ADH), the alliance of German aid organizations, and the Paritätischen Wohlfahrtsverband. arche noVa bears since 1996 the donation seal of the German Central Institute for Social Issues (DZI).
Since 2008 arche noVa and their local partners are implementing integrated project activities such as Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WaSH) promotion, sustainable livelihoods development and disaster risk reduction in Rakhine State, Northern Shan State, Kayin State and the Ayeyarwaddy Delta, in Myanmar. For the implementation of arche noVa’s project activities in the field of WaSH we are looking for a
WaSH Engineer (50%) / Project Assistant (50%) (Fulltime)
Position to be filled: October 2016
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Implement effectively and within time and budget WASH program as per the project proposals and project requirements.
• Design and implement water storage, treatment and distribution systems.
• Design and implement sanitation systems for household and/or communal toilets.
• Develop hygiene promotion / education materials for training and information.
• Deliver trainings on water treatment, water quality testing, and maintenance and hygiene promotion to arche noVa’s local partners.
• Develop and review technical drawings, BOQ, specifications for water and sanitation infrastructure to ensure compliance with relevant standards, procedures, and codes.
• Develop, negotiate and manage contracts with service providers (may include preparing tender documentation and evaluating capacity and quality of contractors).
• Supervise, manage and provide technical assistance to arche noVas’ local partners, contractors and direct labour work teams.
• Support the arche noVa’s country office Myanmar in preparing reports, documentations and proposals, as well as related administrative tasks.
• Assure monitoring and evaluation of the projects at all stages.
• Assist in setting up a program planning and a country strategic plan.
• Closely cooperate and liaise with local communities, authorities and their counterparts, UN agencies and other non-governmental organizations.
• Master degree in engineering, environmental health, water and sanitation, or a related field;
• At least three years of professional work experience in the international WaSH sector
• Experience in conducting capacity development in WaSH at the local and sector levels;
• Analytical and conceptual ability; demonstrated understanding of survey design and social research methods to understand hygiene and sanitation behavior change;
• Demonstrated work experience in international project management;
• Ability to effectively coordinate with government, NGO, and local stakeholders is essential;
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Fluency in English, knowledge of German is desirable;
• Prior work experience in the project region is an asset.
Duty station and official travel involved
The engineer will be based in Yangon at the arche noVa country office. His/her duties include extended project field visits to Rakhine State, Northern Shan State, Kayin State and the Ayeyarwaddy Delta. It is foreseen that the engineer spends his/her time on a 60% Yangon, 10% Delta, 10% Shan, 10% Rakhine and 10% Kayin basis.
1 year (extendible) starting in October 2016
Deadline for application: 15.08.2016
Please send CVs and Cover Letters to: [email protected]