Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Social Impact is preparing a proposal response for the anticipated multi-million-dollar, five-year Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Contract in Uganda. The purpose of the Contract is to strengthen the performance of USAID/Uganda and its Implementing Partners (IPs) in collaborating, learning and adapting to improve the relevance, quality and sustainability of USAID-supported contributions to Uganda’s development.
SI is seeking a Mid to Senior Level Natural Resources Management/Environmental Advisor to provide support and expertise to the USAID/Uganda and IP staff. The Advisor will work with the mission and its IPs to ensure that they are compliant with USG laws as well as policies and regulations relating to environmental protection. S/he will be based in Uganda and work as part of a team of Social Science Advisors to serve as a source of expertise and guidance to USAID/Uganda throughout the duration of the contract.
- Serve as a source of expertise and advice to USAID/Uganda and IP staff on natural resource management and environmental concepts, theories and best practices.
- Increase USAID/Uganda’s understanding of local context through rapid assessments, ongoing research and dialogue with Ugandan thought leaders.
- Coordinate with other subject matter experts and team members to provide a comprehensive perspective to USAID/Uganda’s learning.
- Draft SOWs for, help select, arrange meetings and site visits for, and deepen the work of visiting evaluation, analytic, assessment and activity design teams and individuals funded by USAID/Uganda.
- Facilitate collaboration among Ugandan thought leaders.
- Draft SOWs for, select, arrange meetings and site visits for, and deepen the work of visiting evaluation, analytic, assessment and activity design teams and individuals funded by USAID/Uganda.
- Help with the range of documentation preparation, monitoring and other tasks necessary to ensure that USAID/Uganda and its IPs are compliant with USG law and regulations, USAID policies, and Ugandan law, policies and regulations relevant to environmental protection.
- At least a Master’s degree in Environmental Management, Environmental Studies, Natural Resource Management or a related field.
- At least seven years of professional experience and demonstrated technical expertise in participating in and reviewing environmental impact assessments.
- Demonstrated experience working on natural resource management for donor-funded development projects is preferred.
- Experience collaborating and coordinating with colleagues across bureaus, departments or organizations.
- Experience or familiarity with USAID is preferred.
- Experience in Uganda or East Africa is preferred.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills. English is required.