- U.S. Citizen or Third Country National who at the time of hire as a PSC resides in the cooperating country.
- RESIDENT hire PSC is eligible for FICA, health insurance and life insurance in accordance with USAID policy. RESIDENT hire Contractors are not eligible for any other fringe benefits.
- As a RESIDENT hire, no moving, lodging or RELOCATION travel expenses will be extended to successful applicants.
Basic Function of the Position:
The Environment Specialist will report directly to the Environment & Energy Team Leader, and will manage various aspects of the day-to-day management of the portfolio. He/she will also be responsible for the design and implementation of studies, strategies, program, and activities in the area of environment and natural resources management (NRM). S/he may manage contracts, grants, and/or cooperative agreements which are supporting USAID/Nepal’s Environment Program Area. S/he will provide technical leadership on biodiversity, climate change, integrated watershed management, and combating wildlife trafficking issues within the SEED Office.
The successful applicant will meet or exceed each criterion below:
- Education: At minimum a Master’s degree or equivalent in the environment or a related field.
- Experience: The successful candidate is required to have 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in any of the following fields: biodiversity conservation, integrated watershed management, climate change, community management of natural resources, and/or natural resource policy. Experience working in Nepal is preferred.
- Knowledge and Abilities: The successful candidate must demonstrate expert level knowledge of natural resource management principles as demonstrated through previous program design, implementation, and monitoring within a related NRM field. The incumbent must exercise good judgment with regard to information sharing and protection as demonstrated through past assignments. The incumbent must show flexibility, the ability to meet short deadlines, and show positive collaboration as demonstrated through past performance and reference checks.
- Skills: The successful candidate is required to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills as demonstrated through their application, writing samples, and, if selected for an interview, their written exam.
- Language Proficiency: Excellent written and oral English language proficiency is required. Some knowledge of Nepali is desirable.
Quality Ranking Factor:
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements and qualifications will be further evaluated based on the Quality Ranking Factors (QRF) listed below. Applicants are strongly encouraged to address each of the factors on a separate sheet describing specifically and accurately what experience, training, and/or education that are relevant to each factor. Be sure to include your name and the announcement number at the top of each additional page.
A. Professional Experience – 35 pts
Education, knowledge and experience in any of the following fields: biodiversity conservation, integrated watershed management, climate change, community management of natural resources, natural resource policy, or a related field. Experience working in Nepal or the region, if any.
B. Program Management – 35 Points
Ability to manage, monitor and evaluate programs, including providing technical and programmatic direction and exercising financial management and oversight.
Ability to review, evaluate and apply complex policies and regulations.
C. Interpersonal and Communication Skills – 30 Points
Ability to provide rapid, concise, accurate reporting, both verbally and in writing. Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a multi-cultural team. Ability to coordinate stakeholders.
Maximum points available: 100 points
A detailed job description for the position can be obtained by visiting USAID/Nepal website at http://www.usaid.gov/nepal/careers or by contacting USAID/Nepal Human Resources Office.
Please send your application to the attention of USAID/Nepal Human Resources Office, US Embassy Maharajgunj, G.P.O. Box. 295, Kathmandu, Nepal. Applications may be sent electronically to: [email protected].
The application must include the following:
- A brief narrative demonstrating how education, experience, and skills address the requirements listed under required qualifications.
- Resume not exceeding 3 pages in length.
- Application for employment form AID-302-3
- Names and contact details for three references.