Environmental Sustainability Graduate Intern (Summer/Fall 2018)
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you’ve learned in the classroom through real-world hands-on work experience. Now imagine yourself in a Professional Internship with Disney Corporate. With your extraordinary talents, our renowned legacy and the promise of an even brighter future unite, just imagine the stories you could be part of!
At Disney, we believe that there are no limits to where creativity and imagination can take us. In our stories, we find examples of those inspired to envision a brighter tomorrow and the aspiration to make that dream come true. Our unique approach to citizenship is rooted in the entertainment that we create and the special relationship we have with kids and families around the world. Our assets and our reach provide us with an opportunity to inspire audiences everywhere to join us in taking action and caring for the world we share. This opportunity to inspire guides our work across citizenship. It is at the core of our citizenship mission to conduct our business and create products in an ethical manner and promote the happiness and well-being of kids and families everywhere.
Our commitment to environmental stewardship focuses on using resources wisely and protecting the planet as we operate and grow our business. Enterprise Social Responsibility is responsible for developing and implementing global strategies across The Walt Disney Company’s businesses.
The Environmental Sustainability team focuses on the Company’s environmental goals. This group leads the ongoing development of Disney’s environmental footprint assessment and collaborates with business units to create metrics and processes that will enable the company to achieve goals to reduce its environmental impact.
Current projects include conducting greenhouse gas emissions, water, and waste inventories enterprise wide; developing strategies to reduce our environmental footprint; evaluating new project designs for sustainability; conducting environmental footprint (products, and productions), developing strategies for investment in clean energy developing, managing the carbon portfolio for Disney, and researching emerging environmental sustainability issues.
The Environmental Sustainability Graduate Intern’s primary focus will be to:
- Support internal communication efforts: preparation of quarterly reports, data analysis, summaries, presentations, and benchmarking
- Support creation of visual and media assets for environmental initiatives
- Track developments in domestic and international carbon markets, climate and water issues
- Research trends, indicators, and mechanisms to measure and reduce impact of climate change
- Create briefs on key environmental issues impacting climate, water, waste, manufacturing
- Assist in monitoring project portfolio, including but not limited to coordinating communications with external organizations, reviewing project updates, updating relevant supporting materials
The intern will provide assistance on a secondary basis:
- Assist with environmental inventories
- Assist in various research projects
- Assist with team projects as they arise
- Strong written, verbal, and analytical skills
- Familiarity with organizations working in the CSR space (i.e. environmental NGOs, non-profits, thought leaders)
- Experience with sustainability, climate change, corporate citizenship, and environmental issues (regulations, developing legislation, industry trends)
- Strong technical and analytical skills, with experience collecting, validating, analyzing, reporting, and summarizing data.
- Excellent ability to create organized, comprehensive, and clear briefs
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point
- Experience analyzing data using Excel (pivot tables, charts, formulas)
- Familiarity with climate change issues (regulations, developing legislation)
- Interested in applying an analytical education to environmental issues; such as waste, water resources management and climate change.
- Strong skills in process management, documentation, and communication skills
- Familiarity with carbon markets and financial instruments
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access
- Proficiency in Photoshop or similar tools
- Experience in graphic design for infographics or presentations
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class, or be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months at time of application, or be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
- Currently a graduate student working on a graduate degree in the following areas: engineering, environmental science & management, forestry, ecology, sustainability, communications, computer science, or data analytics
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, an equal opportunity employer.
- The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2018 through early December 2018
- Candidate must be available to work part time hours, approximately 20-25 hours per week, for the duration of the internship
- Interns must provide their own housing and transportation in the Burbank area for the duration of their internship program.
- Not have already completed two consecutive (spring/fall) College or Professional Internship Programs
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must be at least 18 years of age