Are you an ambitious academic leader looking for your next challenge?
Do you have a background in water research? An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the [email protected] leadership team as Associate Director for a fixed 2-year period. The Associate Director will support the two [email protected] Directors with specific responsibility for leading the implementation of one of the four strategic objectives of the [email protected] delivery plan, working in partnership with members of the management team. The post-holder will work across the University engaging the [email protected] membership, and with external organizations to promote [email protected] activities.
About [email protected]
[email protected] is a world-leading water research organisation, one of the largest centres for water research in any university in the world, producing high quality, highly cited papers with high levels of international collaboration. The world’s grand challenges for water require interdisciplinary solutions and interdisciplinary working is a key feature of [email protected] We bring together researchers from across all eight faculties of the University of Leeds to work on a range of problems within water research. [email protected] has excellent links with industry and government and a track record of collaborative research and development, knowledge transfer and joint innovation. Currently we operate around £90M worth of externally funded research and innovation projects. The four strategic objectives of [email protected] are:
- Provide excellent internationally-recognised water science, technology and policy research [Research brand, reputation and quality]
- Maximise the effectiveness of research funding in the water sector by becoming the focus for interdisciplinary water research [Income]
- Generate world-leading research which has major impacts on society, environment and the economy [Impact]
- Train new innovative, excellent and interdisciplinary water experts to work at the cutting edge of water research, management and policy [Next generation]
What does the role entail?
As Associate Director, your main duties will include:
- Leading delivery plan activities for one of the four [email protected] strategic objectives;
- Participating in the [email protected] Technical Advisory Group, providing leadership in your chosen strategic objective, and contributing to the continuous development of [email protected] strategy;
- Working as part of a wider team of Associate Directors, with the two [email protected] Directors, and the [email protected] management team;
- Promoting collaborations across different University faculties and with external organisations, and act in an ambassadorial capacity;
- Promoting [email protected] internally and externally as a world class water research centre;
- Leading and/or facilitating substantial new funding bids and projects related to the strategic objective focus area that you lead.
These duties provide a framework for the role and should not be regarded as a definitive list. Other reasonable duties may be required consistent with the grade of the post.
What will you bring to the role?
As Associate Director you will have:
- Current employment at Grade 9 or higher and be a member of the academic staff at the University of Leeds;
- Experience in, and of supporting and promoting interdisciplinary research, impact and PG training, preferably in the water area and aligned to one of our four strategic objectives;
- Experience in planning and delivering action plans, with the ability to work between academic and support services throughout the University;
- Ability to think creatively and to promote new or untried solutions to problems and ways of working;
- Strong interpersonal skills, team working skills and communication skills with a high level of personal drive and commitment;
- A desire to develop own leadership skills in an interdisciplinary environment.
How to apply
To apply for one of these four positions, please email Jaimie Stringwell at [email protected], with your expression of interest and no more than one side of A4 detailing: which Strategic Objective you would like to lead and why? What experience and skills you will bring to the role? How you will measure success (including your own personal development) in it? Prior to submission please request the approval of your Head of School for the 0.1FTE time commitment of this post. Applications to be received by 23.59 (UK time) on the 28 February 2018.