Background & Purpose of the Job
The Global Sustainability Manager is responsible for implementing systems and programs which will further Ben & Jerry’s corporate commitment towards a progressive environmental program as defined by the Company’s Mission Statement, Progressive Values Statement and annual Social Mission strategy. Within this role, the overriding priority is to drive reduction of the Company’s carbon footprint across the value chain. Other priorities include supporting Ben & Jerry’s commitment to regenerative agriculture and sourcing sustainability, as well as the development of sustainable packaging. In addition, this position contributes subject matter expertise across a wide range of environmental and sustainability related issues, including greenhouse gas emissions, pesticides and other toxic chemicals, water quality, resource efficiency, and waste management.
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3-part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organization will be critical for success.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
- You’re a born leader: You will lead the development and implementation of GHG emission and pesticide reduction plan to achieve our ambitious science based targets across the value chain.
- You’re a dot connector: You will work with our manufacturing sites to support sustainability initiatives.
- You’re a story teller: You will manage the design and implementation of environmental education materials that communicate our environmental mission, vision and accomplishments.
- You’re a teacher: You will serve as a technical subject matter resource on sustainability for all of Ben & Jerry’s employees.
- You’re a culture & change champion: You will work to establish and manage relationships with relevant NGOs, technical experts and sustainability professionals as needed to advance sustainability efforts.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Environmental Science, Sustainable Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Engineering or related discipline providing technical expertise in sustainability (Master’s would be an asset)
- Professional experience working to improve the environmental footprint of a business or other institution (at minimum an internship)
- Familiarity with carbon credits, carbon accounting and Life Cycle Assessment tools
- Ability to lead through influencing within an organization through collaboration rather than the exercise of line authority
- Broad knowledge of environmental issues related to climate change, water quality, environmental health, waste management, energy efficiency and renewable energy, and food production, with significant depth in one or more areas
- Demonstrated commitment to the values embodied by the Ben & Jerry’s Social Mission including social equity and climate justice
- Thoroughness and attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Experience with agricultural supply chain sustainability would be an asset
What We Can Offer You
Culture for Growth | Top Notch Employee Health & Well Being Benefits | Every Voice Matters | Global Reach | Life at Unilever | Careers with Purpose | World Class Career Development Programs | Check Out Our Space | Focus On Sustainability
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities.
Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination under Federal law. For more information, please see EEO is the Law.
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.