NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The WaSH Officer reports to the WaSH Coordinator.
- Supervision of WaSH assistants
- Coordinate the WASH activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assist the WASH Project Coordinator in all aspects of WASH programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works for all water infrastructure and sanitation facilities
- Assess the wash training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conduct water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provide technical assistance to the WASH Program Development Manager and local counterparts on issues of WASH information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures.
- Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Higher diploma in Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health (BAC+5) minimum
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with wash projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Previous 2 years work experience in community based Water and Sanitation programs; Work experience with an INGO is desirable
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of Water and Sanitation delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, Arc Gis and Google Earth is strongly desirable
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Dikwa, with frequent travels. Travel outside Dikwa is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.