NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The WaSH Assistant reports to the WaSH Officer.
- Coordinate the Hygiene promotion (HP) and community mobilization (CM) activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assist the WASH Officer manage in all aspects of Hygiene promotion and community mobilization programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- To assist in the identification of communities/IDPs Hygiene promotion needs
- To assess the Hygiene promotion and community mobilization needs of the communities/IDPs and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts training sessions on Hygiene promotion and community mobilization for the local Hygiene Promoters
- Working closely with the Wash Technical Assistant to assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures
- Train and develop community leader and hygiene promotors
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria
- Experience with start-up activities
- Experience Hygiene promotion in choleras outbreak context within the host communities and camps
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Higher diploma in Public Health, Social Science or Communication
- Minimum 2 years’ experience from working with hygiene promotion/communities mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context. Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of water, hygiene, sanitation (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills – in written and spoken English is required.
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Damasak, with frequent travels. Travel outside Damasak is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.