Afghanistan nationals: Shelter/WASH Officer
Purpose of the Job
The purpose of a Core Competency (CC) Shelter/WASH Officer Position is to contribute with specific technical competences to project implementation. This position will normally not entail management responsibility of staff, but under certain circumstances the job may entail management responsibility for a very limited number of staff at assistant level. These circumstances can either be related to a time-bound support or permanent but in scope limited administrative support.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure compliance with Shelter/WASH strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards.
- Shelter/WASH specific technical responsibility for implementation of technical. Shelter/WASH specific technical responsibility for tracking of financial expenditures for technical activities of Shelter/WASH project(s).
- Quality control of all construction activities at each stage of the progress -travel regularly to all the sites of implementation of shelter/WASH activities, ensuring that all activities are in accordance with norms and standards.
- Asses analyses and finalize the hand washing facility, rehabilitation/construction of latrines, hygiene activities and shelter construction locations in consultation with community.
- Provide on job training to the shelter beneficiaries and water committee in all project location.
- Provide support to and supervision of project sub-contractors.
- Check the depth of the dug well/bore including water table and water level.
- Monitor and document the implementation of project activities done by implementing partners and/or contractors (plan of action activities, contracts, financial expenditures and project documentation).
- Conduct quality control and provide technical support to implementing partners and/or contractors.
- Responsible for: assessment, vulnerable beneficiary selection, project planning, implementation and monitoring for shelter construction activities
- Participate in field missions, shelter activities monitoring, and technical assistance to beneficiaries.
- Collection and analysis shelter data and report.
- Maintain shelter beneficiaries’ documentation both on field and office levels and on its profiles.
- Distribution of beneficiaries cash payments according to the plan and on time clearance.
- Provision and completion of all field related forms, contracts and retain in profile.
- Prepare reports on weekly, monthly and require base as well
- Conduct the meeting with community/ or village elders, Malaks, local authority and other stakeholders at field level.
- Remain updated on technical and legal considerations (national lows, standards and codes).
- Coordinate the material loading, transportation and delivery with logistic and warehouse assistant.
- Participate in NRC staff seminars and training, when scheduled.
- Properly operate the NRC assets (HF, VHF, Computer and sat phone...etc.)
- Any other tasks as assigned by the immediate superior.
- University degree is required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Prior experience with Construction and community based projects
- Experience with field level coordination with UN organizations, INGOs, Donors and authorities.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Core competency expertise.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Experience with Urban shelter standards.
- Previous work experience with a satisfactory performance in the same or similar functional area preferably with UN or INGOs.
- Knowledge of international standards code for building material and testing.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Fluency in English and local language Dari/Pashtu.
- Able to express your ideas clearly and confidently in speech.
- Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities & proactive in putting forward ideas & solutions.
- Education title: University degree is required.
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Monthly Salary based on NRC Afghanistan Salary Scale
- Top up Credit card on monthly basis
- Leave and Holidays accordingly Afghanistan Labor Law
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected