Following the massive displacement of more than 600 000 people into Bangladesh since end of August 2017, Tdh has put in place an important emergency response plan to provide relief to the Rohingya refugees, notably on health, WASH and protection.
About Terre des hommes:
Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) is the leading Swiss NGO focusing on child rights. It is active in more than 30 countries with development and emergency projects. Tdh focuses its action on the two following areas of intervention: health and protection of particularly vulnerable children. Modern management and communication tools ensure the quality of Tdh’s projects. The Foundation constantly aims to improve its services.
The junior project manager is providing support for both hardware and softaware project components and ensure the project is implemented in line with the proposal and project plan. The junior project manager guarantees and manages the daily decisions and actions to be taken within their intervention domain, in coordination with the PM. If required for the position, the junior project manager may also be required to function as an engineer, supervising the work of Tdh’s WASH construction team and/or third party contractors as well as other members of the WASH project team.
Main responsibilities :
- S/he is working under the direct supervision of the WASH project manager;
- S/he is responsible for supervising and training his/her field teams;
- S/he ensures decisions and actions are taken in his/her area of intervention and deals with them independently on a daily basis in consultation with the PM;
- S/he ensures that the outcomes of the project(s) s/he is in charge of are achieved;
- S/he also acts as the link / the synergy between the project for which s/he is authorized and the other projects developed within the delegation;
- S/he builds up the expertise in his/her field of intervention;
- If a sector coordinator is in office in his/her intervention country, s/he works very closely and in consultation with the coordinator and his/her counterpart project manager in another zone;
- S/he collaborates and coordinates with the PM and Wash Specialist at headquarters to develop and validate the thematic strategy in line with the Tdh strategic commitments, and conduct advocacy and strategic capitalization actions;
- S/he collaborates with the other Tdh sectors.
More specifically, S/he:
- Takes part in the definition of strategic orientations for the project, in coordination with the PM and the thematic referent;
- Plans activities or projects he/she is in charge of and oversees its implementation; the coordinator also manages and supervises the associated resources;
- Ensures the coaching of any collaborator under their responsibility, from recruiting to the final collaboration reports. Uses the good practices so that their management respects the values of Tdh. Puts the staff management policies in place within the delegation;
- Ensures the correct financial management of the project or activity and the funds available for it. Guarantees a monthly tracking of budgets;
- Fosters the correct communication and visibility of the project;
- Knows and implements policies on security, child protection and fraud prevention;
- Helps ensure the correct flow of operational information within the delegation and with the headquarters (especially for institutional reporting);
- Within its field of activity, strengthens and develops synergies with government institutions, the rest of NGOs and local organizations;
- Ensures the correct communication and visibility of the project/s under their responsibility;
- Additional Technical responsibilities may apply related to construction supervision.
- Strong background on community development
- At least 3 year’ technical experience with WASH infrastructure.
- Previous experience with an NGO needed.
- Previous experience in emergency response is needed.
- Qualifications in a discipline related to Wash, Civil Engineering / or Environmental Health
- Good capacity in communication mobilization and knowledge of participatory approaches
- Proven success in implementing Behaviour Change activities
- A proven record of effective project and people management
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills, capacity to work under pressure and on tight deadlines and in an insecure environment
- Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context, able to provide constructive critique and evaluation
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of Bangladesh context would be a distinct advantage
- Knowledage on Mobile Data collection tools (ODK)