The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Working in partnership with regional and international organizations, ICIMOD aims to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the HKH. ICIMOD provides a platform for researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the region and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional cooperation. ICIMOD delivers impact through its six Regional Programmes: 1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks. These regional programmes are supported by four Thematic Areas of Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions, and underpinned by Knowledge Management and Communication. ICIMOD seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and in the future.
The Knowledge Management and Communications (KMC) Unit serves as a resource for the organization. It is involved in the preparation and distribution of technical publications and information materials, media-related activities, outreach events, content development, and maintenance of the organization’s internal and external websites, all in line with the ICIMOD branding policy.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Senior Editor will carry out a variety of management and editorial tasks under the direct supervision of the Senior Manager, KMC, and in close consultation/collaboration with members of the Editorial and Publications Team. S/he should have knowledge of publishing and editing practices and should have excellent English writing and communications skills. S/he should have an instinct for organizing ideas and presenting them in audience-appropriate ways. The Senior Editor is responsible for the following tasks:
- Lead the Editing and Publications Team, supervising staff and ensuring compliance with all publications guidelines and procedures.
- Lead the institutional re-branding process and provide continuous evaluation of branded items, ensuring consistency of brand application and overseeing the use of ICIMOD’s brand design in all areas of ICIMOD’s work.
- Oversee the conception and development of selected ICIMOD publications in order to produce knowledge products with significant reach and impact.
- Maintain and foster relationships across the institution and initiatives and, where relevant, with external partners.
- Through continuous learning, expand and share expertise in editing and publications production, ensuring ICIMOD’s understanding of best practices in the market, and ensuring innovation and continuous improvement.
- Develop tools and instruments for editing and publications production that facilitate enhanced service delivery.
- Provide input for relevant KMC polices and for feedback on policy effectiveness.
- Edit, finalize, oversee production, and ensure overall quality, logic, and consistency of ICIMOD’s long-form publications including technical reports, journal articles and book chapters, and internal reports, including editorial rewriting and tailoring language for different users, and supervision of editing consultants.
- Edit press releases, general audience articles, media background materials, and other materials to enrich and update the ICIMOD website.
- Take overall responsibility for the effective management of the two pipeline dashboards for technical and general publications through close supervision of and coordination with the Editing Officer/Publication Coordinator.
- Participate as Secretary of the Publications and Outreach Committee.
- Edit/check all publications on logic and consistency in text and outreach.
- Provide writing trainings and support as requested by the programmes and initiatives.
- Provide writing support to the Director General and Deputy Director General for event remarks and annual commemorative statements (e.g., International Mountain Day statement).
- Provide other editorial support, including proofreading publications and information materials and undertake related duties as required.
- Uphold and maintain the ICIMOD style and enforce the ICIMOD publications policy and guidelines as presented in the Publications and Editorial Manual.
- Master's degree or equivalent experience in English, Communications/Development Communication, Environmental Science, or related field.
- At least five years of work experience in English-language publishing, editing, and writing in a professional environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, and self- motivation.
- Ability to use common office and communication software.
- Teamwork and cooperation: Builds cross functional and cross-cultural project teams to achieve results; draws on people with different skill sets and backgrounds to build enthusiasm and gain support for challenging objectives; provides information to and shares resources with other units to make decisions collaboratively.
- Result orientation: Proactively generates concrete results on the output level within and outside the organization; achieves results even in a changing or difficult situation.
- Cross cultural impact: Adapts personal style, manners, and communication to accommodate various cultures; modifies methods based on an understanding of the local business customs and practices; finds solutions in cases of misunderstanding.
- Analytical thinking: Simplifies complex issues to identify the essence of a problem or opportunity; makes effective, timely decisions without over-analyzing; understands what data is absent to solve a problem.
- Impactful communication: Effectively presents, explains, and discusses more complex ideas; convinces others; demonstrates active listening skills and integrates ideas from different people and sources; reaches out to others to problem solve and reach alignment.
- Behavioural flexibility and managing change: Gives right examples about how to change behaviour; gives others feedback on the way they react to changing circumstances, partly by demonstrating how s/he their behaviour and activities to such circumstances; implements and drives change.
- Developing others: Demonstrates the ability to lead and advocate the development towards a continuous learning culture; gives others feedback on the strong and weak points in their performance and discusses possibilities for personal development; builds a culture of correct application and interpretation of compliance, procedures, and processes.
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Stays abreast with changing approaches and technologies; encourages others to come up with new ideas; spots opportunities and recommends improvements to situations and challenges within own area of expertise.
Three years, with a probation period of six months, starting as soon as possible with the possibility of an extension subject to performance and ICIMOD’s future funding levels.
Salaries and benefits at ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 02 Mar 2018 through ICIMOD's online application system. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.