Communications and Outreach Intern
Responsible for providing assistance with communications, outreach and education activities under the direction of the MWMO’s Communications Principal.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Produce original content for the MWMO website, blog and social media channels;
- Write and distribute email updates to MWMO email list subscribers;
- Assist in developing and implementing major outreach campaigns;
- Research and inventory potential audiences for MWMO project-specific outreach;
- Support the development of youth and community outreach materials and training;
- Assist in coordination, promotion and staffing of various MWMO events;
- Assist in maintaining and updating the MWMO website;
- Provide graphic design support and assist staff in preparing documents and presentations;
- Document MWMO projects and activities through photography and videography;
- Organize and catalog MWMO photo and video content for both internal and external use; and
- Assist other activity areas as needed and as assigned by the Communications Principal.
Accountabilities for Collaborative and Team Participation
- Carry out the day-to-day activities of the activity and individual and team work plans as directed by the supervisor.
- Participate in staff team, contributing ideas and providing comments to help improve MWMO initiatives.
- Represent the MWMO at neighborhood, community, and other meetings, as needed, to promote initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with staff and provide direction to new interns and volunteers.
- Perform miscellaneous office duties such as answering telephones, office support, etc., as requested. Keep office space in a clean and publicly presentable condition.
- Performs other accountabilities and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
Current enrollment in or completion of a four-year bachelor’s degree program in journalism, communication studies, education, marketing, or a related field is required. Education in water and natural resources management, urban planning, landscape architecture, environmental education, public administration or business administration may also be acceptable if combined with relevant communications and outreach experience.
Experience in education, communications, marketing and/or social media management is desired, but not required. Related certificates and licenses may be considered.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of relevant education, experience and professional licenses may be considered. Please list all other pertinent information.
- Strong public speaking and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong writing and editing skills and experience.
- Knowledge of public policy and public administration.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud applications.
- Experience using WordPress or a similar website content management system.
- Knowledge of social media websites and applications and related best practices.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and/or videos.
- Able to work successfully with considerable independence.
- Able to make immediate decisions and responses.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- License: By date of hire, must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota Driver’s License.
This intern will have the opportunity to work up 20 hours per week from April through May, and is expected work 40 hours per week from June through August. The MWMO is committed to providing a well-rounded experience to its interns. Interns have ample opportunities to network and learn about all areas of MWMO’s work during their employment.
Applications are due by Friday, March 2, 2018.