DRC is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. In Uganda, DRC assists the refugees from neighboring countries mainly DR Congo and South Sudan in the South West, West and West Nile region of the country. DRC’s assistance to refugees have been both emergency assistance to address the short term influxes from the neighboring countries as well as to address the sustainable solutions for the refugees. DRC is currently implementing a multi donor WASH response to address live saving humanitarian WASH needs amongst the refugees as well as supporting local communities as part for the ReHoPE strategy.
This position is based in KYAKA II and will be providing support to the implementation of DRC WASH Program. The job will require frequent travel within the project Area including Support to other DRC Uganda operations as it may be required.
The post refers to a trained DRC staff with vast knowledge of the contextual area of operations and responsible for the day to day operations in the beneficiary communities as outlined by the WASH Coordinator. The post holder is directly responsible for all Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene aspects in KYAKA II.
- Supervise all water technicians and sanitation assistants attached to the WASH project in KYAKA II.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
Participate in preparing Daily/weekly monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports
Work with the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for sanitation and hygiene promotion.
Together with the government extension staff, specifically, the Health Assistants (HA s), Village Health Teams (VHTs), play a lead role in mapping out communities for village sanitation improvement, especially during the CLTS/PHAST/CHAST role out exercises.
In collaboration with the WASH coordinator , mobilize beneficiary communities to maintain the established/ rehabilitated/ protected water sources through formation of water user committees
Lead the Hygiene team in the midterm and annual surveys to understand the impacts of DRC programs with relation to behavior change and health based indicators. Coordination and representation:**
Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion.
Represent DRC at WASH Cluster meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings with the donor and external partners on all aspects related to hygiene and sanitation promotion.
Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
Coordinate with WASH counterparts in KYAKA II and other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels.
Actively participate in internal coordination meeting.
- Ensure and actively participate in a regular sector meeting.
- Together with the WASH coordinator, initiate development of project concepts and proposal documents in respect to WASH.
- Develop the project’s M&E tools for monitoring the technical aspects on WASH.
Project implementation and reporting:
- Ensure proper management of WASH project grants through budget control using agreed budget tracker (s).
- Ensure effective implementation of the WASH Projects in line with the UN and the Uganda National Standards and Policies.
- Monitor and Evaluate the WASH Projects.
- Provide technical support to WASH Assistants to ensure they execute their duties effectively.
- Ensure quality control of implementation of WASH activities in accordance to Sphere, UNHCR and the Uganda National standards.
- Prepare WASH daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities.
- Execute other duties as signed by the supervisor,
- Supervise the WASH Hygiene and Sanitation Assistants.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the WASH staff members and community based staff in KYAKA II operational area as needed.
- Assist in the development of staff performance objectives, targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support field staffs – mentoring – through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
- Support the WASH Coordinator to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups on a daily/weekly/ annual basis.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters within the Project Implementation Area.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure the delivery of supplies to the right beneficiaries following our SOPs.
- Contribute to grants management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Environment Health Science, Water Engineering or WASH related course from recognized institution. Social science courses can be considered if relevant experience is available.
At least three years’ experience in implementing WASH project especially in hygiene promotion, CLTS/PHAST/CHAST etc.
Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards
Strong competence in English literacy
Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, and statistical packages)
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrated ability to work in war conflict areas
- To establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure and culturally sensitive.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.