Forest and Water Specialist
The Forest Policy and Resources Division leads FAO’s work in promoting sustainable forest management and providing leadership on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of forestry, including its contributions to poverty reduction and food security and nutrition. It liaises with member countries, civil society and the private sector in aspects ranging from development of effective forest policies to forest conservation and management issues, and strengthens the role of forests in climate change mitigation and adaptation. The Division also collects, analyses and disseminates information on the world’s forest resources and on the production, trade and consumption of wood, non-wood forest products and ecosystem services.
The post is located in the Forest and Water Programme (FWP) of the Water and Mountains Team, Forestry Policy and Resources Division, FOA.
The purpose of this call is to provide the Forest and Water Programme of the Forestry Policy and Resources Division of FAO with a list of qualified candidates to enhance FAO’s programme of work on forests and water, forest hydrology and water-related ecosystem services.
Contracts will be based in FAO HQ or home-based. The consultant may be required to travel for meetings and field missions.
Overall supervision of the Team leader and the direct supervision of Forestry Officer (Forests and Water), in collaboration with technical units in FAO and/or FAO decentralized office, as appropriate. When activities are carried out in countries, the consultant will be required to work in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in the relevant country of assignment, as well as the relevant FAO regional office.
Provision of support to FAO’s work in the forests and water, forest hydrology and water-related ecosystem services. The consultant will be involved in cross-sectoral work that includes forestry, agriculture, water, and fisheries, contributing to FAO’s strategic objective of making agriculture, forestry and fisheries more productive and sustainable.
Tasks and responsibilities
The consultant will support the FWP and Water and Mountain work programmes, most likely to conduct analyses of the data and information provided in various sources, and highlight the potential implications at national, regional and global levels, achieving one or more of the following tasks:
- Support to the development and management of technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services.
- Design and conduct research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/specialist/advice and expertise.
- Liaise with relevant FAO units (or other organizations) relevant to their assignment to obtain guidance and advice on specific elements.
- Contribute to the coordination, implementation and administration of assigned programmes/activities in accordance with FAO rules, procedures and systems.
- As applicable, organize and participate in missions and other events in support of the delivery of FOA’s programme of work, including for consultation, training, capacity building and technical assistance to beneficiaries of FAO support programmes and projects.
- Contribute to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to the Forest and Water Programme, including guidelines, capacity building and training material.
- Any other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in Forestry, Natural Resources, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, or related field.
- At least three years of relevant experience related to sustainable forest management, watershed management, forests and water, forest hydrology and/or water-related ecosystem services.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Additional Selection Criteria
- Extent and relevance of technical work experience in one or more of the main areas of forests and water.
- Extent and relevance of work experience in one or more regions, especially in developing or emerging countries.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate, draft and finalize clear technical and policy documents, guidelines and manuals, in English.
- Extent of knowledge and experience to conduct (global) technical and policy analysis in topics related to forests and water.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience in GIS is desirable.
- Knowledge management experience, especially related to sustainable forest management and forests and water, may be considered an asset.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.