Winrock is seeking candidates for a Washington DC based position to identify water opportunities with a variety of donors notably federal agencies, to lead capture and proposal efforts, and to investigate partnership opportunities with private sector companies involved in water activities for business, investments, or CSR/stewardship purposes.
This position will be part-time, the level of effort will depend on the volume of activity and on the opportunities identified and pursued.
Water security partnerships
Understand the Sustainable Water Partnership activity, USAID’s flagship program for water security
Take stock of existing water private-public partnerships
Approach leading global and local private sector companies potentially interested in contributing to a Sustainable Water Partnership activity either for CSR/stewardship objectives or business risk considerations
Support and/or lead in-country scoping to identify and develop potential private sector partnerships with both local and multinational companies that support improved water security
Negotiate partnerships that lead to:
- Concrete co-funding in specific geographies, or
- Holding specific presentations or capacity-building events promoting water security, or
- Conceptualization and presentation to USAID missions of possible in-country water security activities for potential funding
Coach/mentor Home Office colleagues and support in-country colleagues in how to approach private sector entities when looking at possible partnerships or engaging them in ongoing water security improvement efforts.
Water Business Development for SWP associate awards
Network among contacts at USAID and other USG agencies (such as USDoS and USDA) to identify upcoming water opportunities
Gather intelligence on these prospects, possibly lead or coordinate capture efforts to assess the opportunity for SWP to suggest Associate Awards
Contribute and/or lead Associate Award proposal efforts, possibly provide written technical inputs or full proposals, review technical approaches, support staffing and teaming efforts
- Represent SWP at meetings and events as required,
- Provide leadership to effectively integrate strategies, approaches, and partnerships at the regional and country level,
- Other duties as assigned
Education, qualifications and Background:
- Master’s degree in water engineering, natural resource management, resource economics, agriculture, or related international development field
- At least 10 years of experience working on water management and/or WASH activities in developing countries, with experience leading business development and proposal efforts.
- Experience working long-term or short-term in Asia, Africa, and/or Latin America desirable
- Experience with developing/managing public private partnerships. in impact investment, project finance and securitization
- Strong working knowledge of USAID, other USG agencies and other donors.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the contract.
- Excellent management, communications and organizational skills, particularly related to managing complex institutional relationships and interactions among a variety of entities.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational and networking role as well as interacting with local stakeholders and beneficiaries in developing countries.