The MWCB (Mine Water Coordinating Body)
In South Africa, the activities of the mining sector have led to serious environmental consequences. The regional concentrations of mining activities have resulted in cumulative impacts as pollution concentrates in shared water courses potentially affecting the entire region and not only a single facility.
These impacts have grown over time particularly in the Olifants River Catchment, which has a unique concentration and distribution of previously operational and now defunct mines, current mines with a remaining life span of 30 – 40 years as well as numerous emerging coal mines.
The Mine Water Coordinating Body (MWCB) is a neutral platform for stakeholder engagement from the public, private and civil society sectors to identify and implement joint solutions to improve water quality and address mine closure starting in the Upper Olifants Catchment.
The Body will also provide governance and develop project processes, work plans and timeframes for the joint projects and initiatives. This will include a structure to govern all stakeholder engagement and the establishment of a small implementing team to ensure that projects are implemented within the required scope, timeframes and budget. The implementing team will consist of a Programme Manager and Programme Assistant.
The NEPAD Business Foundation (NBF) is a non-profit company promoting sustainable economic development in Africa through the private sector. The “NBF” is a “Chamber of Business for Development”, connecting the public and private sectors and development agencies, and implementing innovative and sustainable projects in partnership with each other. In supporting African economic development and growth, NBF’s key focus areas mirror the NEPAD Planning and Coordination Agency’s (NEPAD Agency) development themes of agriculture and food security; climate change and natural resources management; economic and corporate governance; human development and capacity building; and regional integration and infrastructure.
Function and Purpose
The Programme Assistant will provide programme management, administrative and secretarial support to the MWCB Secretariat. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, demonstrate strong client orientation and the ability to work with and respond to members of diverse organisational backgrounds. Excellent organisation and time management skills, and the ability to work under pressure are a must.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively participating in the day to day activities that ensure smooth operation of the MWCB secretariat and programme.
- Capturing of minutes and writing summary reports, action items and following up on action items resulting from Steering Committee and Working Group meetings.
- Scheduling the calendar of MWCB Steering Committee and Working Group meetings.
- Responsible for all coordination and preparation for these meetings including drafting of the agenda, printing and preparing the information packs, distribution of information packs and relevant information, venue etc.
- Coordinating MWCB communication and stakeholder events.
- Drafting reports in line with the MWCB activities.
- Providing general administration support to the MWCB team including making travel arrangements for missions.
- Proactively maintaining an accurate database of members and programme documents – electronic and paper.
- Acting as personal assistant to the MWCB Programme Manager.
- Support the marketing and communications functions of the programme including the website and other marketing materials.
- Any other duties as directed by management.
Qualifications and other requirements:
- Relevant Diploma.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Proficiency in computer skills i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Own car and driver’s license is essential.
- Some marketing, business development and client relationship skills.
- Excellent communication and co-ordination skills across different levels of stakeholders.
- Ability to work within a team context.
Qualified applicants must please send their CV and a one page cover letter to support the application along with salary expectations and availability to commence duties to [email protected]. The closing date for submission of applications is Friday 9 February 2018. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Enquiries by telephone will not be accommodated.