At Lifewater, we believe that work should be more than a job; it should be an opportunity for you to make a difference in the world. We are social scientists, engineers, program managers, advocates, and community workers who care deeply about preventing the needless and tragic death of 1,600 children who die each and every day from preventable water-borne diseases. If you are looking to join a lean but rapidly growing global team comprised of like-minded, professional, passionate people motivated by faith in Jesus Christ then this might be just the job you have been praying for, and yes – you’ll even get paid for your work.
Who We Are
Lifewater International (“Lifewater”) is a non-profit Christian community development organization dedicated to effectively serving vulnerable children and families by partnering with underserved communities to overcome water poverty. With experience in more than 40 countries since 1977, Lifewater serves all people by providing them with contextually appropriate water access, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) interventions. We walk alongside families, leaders, schools, and churches to overcome all forms of water poverty by helping them learn to live in healthy relationship with God and the environment and to recognize how small changes can transform their life and community.
We are a non-governmental, faith-based organization serving communities in the rural regions of East Africa and Southeast Asia. We have active programs in Cambodia, Ethiopia, and Uganda; countries with a desperate lack of resources to provide basic water and sanitation services to rural children and families. Since our inception, Lifewater’s worldwide team has impacted the lives of more than 2.5 million people. And we’re just getting started!
Lifewater has an annual budget of $4.5M USD with strategic plans to double in the next three years. Our global headquarters is located in San Luis Obispo, California with domestic staff fewer than 20 people that serve our field offices around the world. We have regional offices in Addis Ababa, Kampala, and Phnom Penh and program offices in the actual regions of service. All in-country operations are staffed by qualified national personnel, currently numbering 80 people.
Who You Are
You are someone who is an exceptional writer and lives life with a curiosity that compels you to interview others in a way that engages their hearts, minds and souls. You love capturing stories that compel others to action, and turning those stories into content that you disseminate to multiple audiences. You are a great editor who can take raw content from the field and write a piece that captures a brand brilliantly. You like social media and are ready to grow/engage that audience with passion and commitment. You are obsessed with details, making you a rigorous researcher, strong organizer of content, and punctuation and grammar perfectionist.
What You Are Responsible For
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Communications Coordinator will serve as an invaluable member of the Marketing/Communications Team. You will work closely with Director of Marketing and Communications to execute editorial calendar, develop key messages, and craft fresh and relevant stories/content to engage Lifewater’s existing stakeholders and target audiences.
- In accordance with the communication calendar, research, write and post 2-3 blog posts/week
- Develop initial web copy for new and revised webpages as needed
- Assist with the creation of eNewsletter and email communication
- Assist in the writing of key publications: annual report, quarterly newsletters, brochures, reports, and fact sheets
- Organize and manage online content for exceptional user experience and organic SEO
- Coordinate field journalists to capture and share compelling human interest stories from each Lifewater project.
- Edit stories from the field and post to relevant sponsorship project on platform
- Manage and maintain all photo and digital assets in a searchable library
- Promote communication on multiple channels
- Execute social media plan/strategy
- Create and disseminate press releases
- Assist with the writing of emails for donor engagement, stewardship, and solicitation
Work Experience & Qualifications
Education and work experience required:
- Bachelors degree in journalism, marketing, public relations, or similar
- 1-3 years of progressive experience in creating, marketing, and evaluating content
- Proficient in MS Office
- Experience with Adobe Suite, Pardot, and Salesforce a plus
Required competencies and skills:
- Error free grammar and punctuation
- Able to maintain quality, brand standards, and consistency across all communication
- Capacity to thoroughly research for accuracy and reliability
- Proficiency with WordPress and email marketing automation tools
Desired competencies and experience:
- Cross-culture experience a plus