- Support the P&C Director in updating and implementing CIAT’s global communications strategy.
- Oversee and manage the development of global communications products (stories, annual report, website, participation at major events), with an emphasis on supporting resource mobilization efforts.
- Develop and cultivate a global network of world-class media outlets to enhance the visibility of CIAT, and manage press relations.
- Mentor and inspire a talented team of communications officers, writers, designers and volunteers, ensuring their continued professional development and fulfillment of CIAT’s communications objectives.
- Develop targeted communication strategies for major research initiatives in collaboration with CIAT scientists from the outset of the projects.
- Monitor the reach and impact of CIAT’s communications efforts globally.
- Design and deploy capacity development programs to improve the communications skills of CIAT scientists and technical staff, and ensure their participation in media outreach opportunities.
- Represent the P&C Office in communications communities of practice globally.
Skills and competencies required:
- Master’s degree in communications or a related field (journalism, public relations), or equivalent in experience.
- 8-10 years of demonstrable international experience serving in communications management roles in research and/or development organizations.
- Solid understanding of agricultural, natural resource management, and livelihoods issues in the developing world.
- Full written and spoken proficiency in English; Spanish proficiency desired.
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral.
- Strong strategic planning abilities.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel, including to field sites in which conditions might be rudimentary and physically demanding.