Sustainable Resources, Climate & Resilience Assistant
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is an association of 1,200 local governments in 68 countries that are dedicated to sustainable development. It has 15 offices servicing its members while developing innovative projects and events and is an international not-for-profit association and network perceived as the international representative of cities for sustainability. This post is for a position at the ICLEI office in Brussels, Belgium.
ICLEI‘s member cities drive innovation by pioneering the development and application of new processes, instruments, methods and tools for local sustainability. ICLEI promotes integrated and cyclical management and governance of all sustainability related policy areas.
The position of an Assistant, Sustainable Resources, Climate & Resilience supports local governments throughout Europe and beyond in implementing innovative instruments and projects to foster sustainable urban development with a particular perspective on sustainable urban development, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy. He/she will do this both in the framework of larger projects and consultancy services offered by ICLEI. The position will include tasks within several projects as well as cross-cutting programme tasks defined either by the DRD. In coordination with the DRD, tasks can also be delegated to mandated staff. The Assistant will also include further tasks, especially in the area of project and service development and the organisation and implementation of events, supervised by and in close cooperation with
Tasks and responsibilities:
- General support to the line-manager / DRD and work organisation of the topical portfolio including support with partner communication, organisation of travels, ad-hoc tasks
- Responsibility for defined tasks or areas within one or several projects with close oversight of line managers including in organisational tasks
- Responsible implementation of the defined tasks with close oversight of line managers
- General organisational support for the topical portfolio (filing, website maintenance, newsletters, general email requests, etc)
- Assistance in organisational tasks within funded projects
- Liaison with city representatives, partners and providers as defined by line managers
- Assistance in preparing project proposals and tenders
- Support in organising events (conferences, workshops, partner meetings, study tours, etc) in the framework of funded projects
- Support to European advocacy work related to the activities mentioned above
Skills and qualifications:
- Professional experience: Understanding of European institutions; understanding of European policy (e.g. topics such as sustainable urban development, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy) as well as on key issues of global and sustainability at city level
- Experience: At least one year of experience in working in fields related to the above, ideally in combination with local level institutions
- Education: Academic degree in a relevant field (environmental or sustainability management, environmental or energy engineering, management of climate change, European or international policy etc.)
- Organisational skills: skills related to project management incl. organisation of workshops or trainings, high communicative competence (orally and in writing), strong writing, presentation and illustrating skills, team player, pro-active working style, ability to work self-organised within a complex working environment, confidence in communicating with partners from different backgrounds and cultures
- Languages: Excellent command of English and French (orally, read and in writing)
- Computing: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), and basic skills in InDesign and website content management
- Advanced knowledge and practical experiences in either of the topical areas mentioned above will be an advantage
- Particular skills in either event organization or visual design
- Excellent command in at least one further European language of German, Spanish (orally, read and in writing)
- Limited contract, duration 15 months (from 01. April 2018 until 30. June 2019), extension intended
- Corridor contract 80-100% of a full time position with a gross salary according to ‘Assistant’ in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: 31,200 € to 33,600 € per annum for 100%)
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat – Brussels Office, Brussels, Belgium
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum
- Working language: English
- Readiness for frequent travel
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid EU work permit.
Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to: firstname.lastname@example.org Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival; therefore application as soon as possible is advisable.