ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a network of over 1,500 local governments in 68 countries that are dedicated to sustainable development. It has 15 offices servicing its members while developing innovative projects and events and is an international not-for-profit association and network perceived as the international representative of cities for sustainability. The European Secretariat is based in Freiburg, Germany.
ICLEI‘s member cities drive innovation by pioneering the development and application of new processes, instruments, methods and tools for local sustainability. ICLEI promotes integrated and cyclical management and governance of all sustainability related policy areas.
The Officer ‘Green Infrastructures & Nature-based Solutions’ supports local governments throughout Europe in assessing, facilitating and implementing innovative projects related to integrated urban development and regeneration with a particular emphasis on green infrastructures and nature-based solutions, climate adaptation and resilience. He/she will do this both in the framework of consultancy services and larger projects in the topical areas of sustainable urban development, urban transformation, resilience and nature-based solutions.
The Officer will be a staff member of ICLEI Europe’s team on Sustainable Resources, Climate and Resilience. He/she will be responsible for implementing projects and consultancy services. The Officer will also implement further tasks, especially associated to acquisition, supervised by and in close cooperation with the line-manager/Deputy Regional Director (DRD). The officer will proactively support the project development, the representative capacity towards European institutions and governmental structures and institutions of all levels and thereby increase visibility and (economic) opportunities in the before-mentioned topical areas.
The position is based on projects and services, and will be supervised by the responsible Line Manager as well as the responsible Deputy Regional Director (DRD).
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Preparation and implementation of projects and services in European and – if necessary – non-European countries (in particular in the field of sustainable urban development, urban transformation, resilience and nature-based solutions)
- Further development, promotion and application of ICLEI tools supporting local sustainable development, urban transformation, resilience, and nature-based solutions, also as part of ICLEI‘s Programme
- Development of guidelines and handbooks related to the focus themes including financing
- Work-planning and process ownership in assigned tasks, projects and services
- Preparation and facilitation of co-creation processes with local partners
- Preparation, implementation and facilitation of events, trainings, meetings and workshops related to the topical area and development and implementation of training curricula and materials
- Preparation and implementation of topical dissemination and reporting
- Responsibility for high quality of work results, also under a tight timeframe
- Support with acquisition of projects and service contracts based on current work in coordination with Line-Manager/DRD
- Regular reporting to the Line-Manager/DRD on work progress and service/ project implementation in light of goals and given timeframe and budget
- Support with European advocacy work related to the activities mentioned above
Skills and qualifications:
- Professional experience: Advanced understanding of and practical experience with sustainable urban development, urban transformation, resilience and nature-based solutions and their co-benefits
- Experience in working with/for local governments in projects, (consulting) services or as trainer. At least two years in a similar position
- Education: Academic degree in a relevant field (sustainable urban development and planning, environmental or sustainability management, transformation and resilience management, and nature-based solutions – particularly within urban context)
- Organisational skills: Proven skills in implementing projects and/or (consulting) services, high competence in communication (orally and in writing) and process facilitation, strong writing, presentation skills, team player with competence in conflict resolution, pro-active working style, ability to work self-organised within a complex working environment
- Languages: Excellent command of English and at least one further European language (orally, read and in writing)
- Computing: Use of MS Office, databases, e-mail and www
- Advanced understanding of and practical experience with technical, environmental, social, health and financing aspects of sustainable urban development and resilience measures and projects, in particular including nature-based solutions, green and resilient infrastructure
- Specific expertise in (facilitating) policy and planning processes related to local sustainable development, urban transformation and urban resilience, and nature-based solutions and their co-benefits
- Experience in developing and implementing interactive training and capacity development activities (particularly for and with local governments), including visualisation and facilitation
- Experience in advocacy and policy processes, if possible in European contexts
- Excellent command of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese or Russian (orally, read and in writing)
- Experience in application of social media, gamification, desk-top publishing and/or graphics software
- Limited contract, duration 18 months (from 01. May 2018 until 31. October 2019)
- Corridor contract 80-100% of a full time position with a gross salary according to ‘Officer’ in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: 39.000 € to 42.000 € per annum for 100%)
- Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany
- Workings hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum
- Working language: English • Readiness for frequent travel
- Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to: [email protected] Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival; therefore application as soon as possible is advisable.