This position is year-round. During the school year part-time hours will apply; however, during school breaks and the summer period full-time hours may apply. The work schedule may be adjusted to meet the needs of the student’s schedule.
In order to be eligible to receive consideration for this position, you must be able to report to the duty station location listed in this vacancy announcement and be available to work the schedule identified, if selected.
This vacancy is limited to the first 200 applications and will close at midnight EST on the day the application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight EST of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated.
Salary NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
GS-03: $13.54 (Step 01) to $17.60 (Step 10)
GS-04: $15.20 (Step 01) to $19.76 (Step 10)
GS-05: $17.01 (Step 01) to $22.11 (Step 10)
All other locations
GS-03: $12.74 (Step 01) to $16.56 (Step 10)
GS-04: $14.30 (Step 01) to $18.59 (Step 10)
GS-05: $16.00 (Step 01) to $20.80 (Step 10)
This position is intended for students who expect to be enrolled for at least the next year while you complete your degree requirements.
You must meet and maintain the following eligibility requirements under the Pathways Internship Program:
- You must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of fulltime study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); AND
- Enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; AND
- Students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; AND
- The duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
The USGS Caribbean-Florida Water Science Center is seeking undergraduate and graduate level students working towards a degree in engineering, industrial technology, construction drafting, surveying, physical science, biology, or mathematics to gain practical experience in hydrology.
As a Student Trainee (Hydrology) you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of hydrologic science.
- Gathering basic hydrologic data concerning quantity, quality, availability, movement and distribution of water.
- Developing hydrologic and precipitation data for current projects.
- Collecting and processing data to be used in computing stream discharge, determining ground water availability or calculating sediment, chemical, or biological concentrations and physical characteristics.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel up to 5 nights per month may be required.