Nearly a billion people globally live without access to safe water. Half of the developing world’s hospital beds are filled with people suffering from water-related diseases. Despite the billions spent on improving water access and quality, many systems fail prematurely.
Safe Water Network develops market-based, community-level solutions that deliver safe, affordable and reliable water to populations in need, balancing affordable pricing with financial performance. We engage the diverse capabilities of our public- and private-sector partners to advance a model for broad replication, and document and share our insights through forums, workshops, and reports. Our operating footprint of over 150 safe water systems, providing safe water access to 550,000 people in Ghana and India, forms the basis for research and innovation to systematically overcome the challenges of local sustainability and scale. Safe Water Network was co-founded in 2006 by actor and philanthropist Paul Newman, along with prominent civic and business leaders.
About the Position
The Data Specialist supports the agency’s overall management information systems, beginning with a focus on the agency’s financial and operational data management systems for the 150 Safe Water Stations (expected to grow to over 450 in the coming years). The Data Specialist will maintain the agency’s financial and operational key performance indicators, and oversee the associated processes and systems to collect, analyze and report on financial and operational performance. The Data Specialist will also provide analysis to support other Safe Water Network functions. This support will include fundraising reports for the development team, web and email list analytics for the communications team among others. Based in New York, the Data Specialist reports to the Executive Vice President and works closely with staff in India and in Ghana.
Database Management (through Salesforce, SWN’s financial and operational database)
- Lead development of the next phase of Safe Water Network’s Salesforce database in cooperation with vendors
- Facilitate timely data entry through the development of monthly data entry procedures and improvements to current data entry tools
- Maintain Quality Assurance (QA) for all existing data and control data quality for new monthly data entry
Data Collection Project Support
- Support mobile data collection project (innovative initiative using mobile technology to collect water station data at all stations in Ghana)
- Lead process to:
- Clarify important data management questions through email and meetings
- Maintain documented data management procedures and definitions, leading to the creation of a definitive manual
- Share definitions and descriptions of SWN operations to the NY and country teams
Analysis and Reporting of Station Financial and Operational Data
- Maintain, and update and create as necessary, dashboards in Tableau for internal and external audiences
- Provide monthly website updates on station financial and operational performance
- Coordinate with country teams for ongoing data communication and necessary training
Information Management and Analysis in Support of other Functions
- Fundraising reports and analysis for the development team
- Web and email list analytics for the communications team
- Other analysis to support the finance team and special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, data analytics, statistics, international development or related field from a recognized four-year institution; Master’s preferred
- 3-5 years’ related experience
- Extremely strong knowledge of Salesforce, Tableau and Microsoft Excel
- Experience with data querying, reporting and transformation tools
- Familiarity with data management best practices
- Critical thinker with demonstrated problem-solving skills, writing skills and attention to detail.
- A self-starter with exceptional organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at one time.
- An innovative thinker with a solution-oriented mindset.
- Experience in the development sector preferred.
- Fluent English.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected], referencing “Data Specialist – Program Support” in the subject line. This position will be open until filled.