Reports to: Director of Portfolio Development
Location: Kansas City, MO or Washington, DC
Deadline for application: February 28, 2018
WaterEquity is a new impact investment manager dedicated to raising and deploying capital to businesses impacting the lives of millions in need of access to safe water and sanitation. Co-founded by social entrepreneur Gary White and actor Matt Damon, WaterEquity is uniquely positioned to help grow and scale these businesses, generating market-level impact and leveling the playing field for the world’s poor.
In 2015, WaterEquity launched its inaugural investment fund— WaterCredit Investment Fund 1 (“WCIF1”). This Fund provides loan capital at slightly concessionary rates to high-performing microfinance institutions (MFIs) in India to scale their water and sanitation loan portfolios for the poor. To date, this $11 million Fund has transformed the lives of 225,000 people and is well on its way to reach one million people over its seven-year term.
In April 2017, WaterEquity went to market with a new $50M flagship Fund to invest in high-growth and socially-minded businesses in India, Indonesia, Cambodia, and the Philippines. Building a new market, this Fund will provide more affordable debt financing to Water.org’s MFI partners, all of which have a strong track record of providing small, affordable water and sanitation loans to families in need. This Fund will also provide capital to utilities, toilet manufacturers, and water purification and sales kiosks. With committed investments already totaling $32 million from institutional investors and foundations including the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, Bank of America, and the Hilton and Skoll Foundations; WaterEquity aims to close this Fund by June 30, 2018. Investments, which will generate a 3.5% return for investors, will impact the lives of 4.6 million people, at a near zero philanthropic cost. With a blended capital structure, this Fund also includes a $5 million first-loss guarantee that covers both investment returns and principal.
The Senior Manager, Social Impact is a new position intended to play a pivotal role in driving the development of all aspects of WaterEquity’s social impact measurement strategy. As an impact-first fund manager, we are passionate about maximizing our impact to help ensure universal access to water and sanitation. This position is intended to shape our ability to integrate impact measurement into our business.
The position will enable WaterEquity to fully understand its impact at three levels:
- Households gaining access to safe water and sanitation;
- Water and sanitation businesses gaining access to financing from WaterEquity; and
- Capital market flows to the water and sanitation sector.
The fully-dedicated staff position will have a broad mandate to maintain WaterEquity at the forefront of social impact measurement:
- Refine, develop, and implement policies and systems to comprehensively measure and evaluate social impact;
- Deepen board of directors and management understanding of WaterEquity’s social impact and contribute to development of investment strategies;
- Build organizational capacity to effectively communicate social impact to external stakeholders, particularly differentiating WaterEquity’s impact relative to other impact investors; and
- Drive experimentation and develop innovative solutions to measuring impacts
WaterEquity investments empower some of the world’s poorest citizens with access to safe water and sanitation. The Senior Manager, Social Impact will build upon existing impact monitoring policies and tools to design and deploy a scalable approach to fully understand, value, and communicate WaterEquity’s social impact. The role will involve close coordination with the investment team during the due diligence and investment monitoring stages, as well as coordination with the Business Development and Investor Relations team to effectively communicate impact to existing and potential investors.
WaterEquity is in a start-up phase, and the position will evolve quickly as the team grows and priorities change. The candidate should be eager to join an early stage startup and play a lead role in building best-in-class impact monitoring systems. The candidate must be highly adaptable to change and willing to play a variety of roles as we launch additional funds and hire staff. S/he should be comfortable working remotely from other team members, including across borders. The assignment will require domestic and international travel.
The Senior Manager, Social Impact will report directly to the Director of Portfolio Development and will be part of an international investment management team comprised of two Asia-based staff and four US-based staff.
- Lead the development of best-in-class impact monitoring and reporting policies and systems.
- Lead the collection, analysis, and reporting of impact information. Serve as the main point of contact to shape impact evaluations and ensure alignment on impact metrics and methods used for gathering data. Contract and manage local and international consultants responsible for data collection, analysis, publications and other relevant activities.
- Build company knowledge of impact trends and opportunities for improvement, inform investment strategies to maximize impact.
- Coordinate with other WaterEquity departments to collect input and ensure broad comprehension of impact strategies and results. Clarify departmental roles in collection and communication of impact information. Engage with the Investment Management team to help them envision creative methods for impact measurement.
- Collaborate with WaterEquity’s Business Development and Investor Relations department to identify insights, strengthen evidence to inspire storytelling efforts, and cultivate relationships with key partners. Effectively communicate to external stakeholders the breadth and depth of WaterEquity’s social impact, particularly to differentiate impact of water and sanitation investments vis a vis other types of social impact investments.
- Communicate social impact policies and results to external stakeholders to ensure strong understanding of the strength of WaterEquity’s impact measurement. Manage regular social impact reporting and contribute to sector knowledge and awareness building.
- Develop win-win partnerships with social impact investment sector stakeholders to leverage experience and expertise of others and build awareness of WaterEquity’s impact.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Innovative mindset and demonstrated ability to design, launch and scale new projects and initiatives
- Balanced approach to impact and strategy that melds idealism with realistic and practical solutions
- Experience analyzing and synthesizing data; Ability to facilitate the process of turning impact data into meaningful stories
- Excellent communication and writing skills, with a keen ability to present complex data in a simple, compelling, meaningful way (ability to produce data visualization is a plus)
- Proactive problem-solving attitude and willingness to adapt to an evolving role in a startup environment
- Willingness to travel
- Minimum 10 years of experience, preferably in a data-oriented position in a social impact investor, social enterprise, management consultancy, or development consultancy
- Post graduate degree in economics, business, international development or relevant field
- Experience working in developing countries
- Authorization to reside and work in the USA
- Experience in social impact investing
- Experience in the microfinance and/or water and sanitation sector
- Experience in survey methodology and monitoring social or environmental outcomes in a development or investment context
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
WaterEquity offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to: [email protected] with the subject headline: Senior Manager, Social Impact Position. Please label your attachments with last name, first name. Submissions will be reviewed as they are received.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US FOR STATUS UPDATES.
WaterEquity is an equal opportunity employer and does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment.