CowaterSogema is looking for a Hydraulic Modeller for an anticipated project in Nepal. The key objective of the project will be to update the capital investment and asset management plan for Kathmandu Valley for water and wastewater, to help optimize water supply and wastewater infrastructure for providing realistic levels of service to the people taking into consideration social, economic, institutional and environmental factors; and to provide a roadmap to 2050 for phased investments for the rehabilitation, expansion and augmentation of water supply and wastewater services in all the municipalities of the Kathmandu Valley.
The Hydraulic Modeller will review any available hydraulic models of the water supply and wastewater networks either existing or under preparation and develop models using appropriate and agreed software suitable for preparation of water supply and wastewater master plans.
- A Master’s degree in Engineering/IT or related subject.
- A 10 years of experience of working directly in the development of water supply, sewerage and drainage hydraulic models using such as Water CAD, Sewer CAD, XPSSWMM or equivalent. Strong knowledge of compatible GIS/RDBMS systems such as the ESRI range of products. Experience of modelling complex water supply and wastewater hydraulic models for large cities; and
- Experience of working in an international environment and multi-disciplinary teams and in Asia will be considered an advantage, especially South Asia.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
The Hydraulic Modeller will undertake the following specific activities:
- Review any existing hydraulic models for the water supply, wastewater and drainage networks in Kathmandu Valley currently being operated by Kathmandu Upatyaka Khanepani Limited (KUKL) or Consultants to the Project Implementation Directorate (PID);
- Review the current system operation with KUKL operational staff to allow a model development in accordance with current operations. Develop and analyse alternative operational approaches and recommends the most efficient operational mode;
- The existing network should be modelled together with the proposed extensions now being developed;
- Liaise with the asset management consultants in the development of an asset register and asset condition survey to provide the basis for the network models;
- Agree with KUKL/Kathmandu Valley Water Supply Management Board (KVWSMB) on the appropriate software for the hydraulic model using an internationally recognized software package such as Sewer CAD or equivalent for wastewater, Water CAD or equivalent for water supply and XPSORM, XPSWMM or Flow Master for drainage. The modelling package should be able to load date directly from the GIS survey undertaken to develop the asset register;
- Calibrate the models so far as possible against available flow and pressure data; and
- Liaise with the Urban Water Supply Specialists to input the model into the Water Supply and wastewater master plan and required capital development program
This is an internationally engaged position and a competitive salary package will be offered to the preferred candidate. The position is open to international experts primarily but also to Nepalese nationals with permanent residency in/dual citizenship of other countries with international work experience in similar projects and similar positions with authority to live and work in Nepal.