Cambodia is consistently ranked as one of the ten countries most vulnerable to climate change, and one of the three most vulnerable in Asia.
Recent Climate Public Expenditure Reviews indicated that the level of climate related expenditures has grown from 0.9% of GDP (373 Bn riels) in 2009 to 1.2% of GDP (859Bn riels) in 2015. Due to the potential impacts of climate change on the Cambodian economy, it is essential that climate-related expenditures be managed in the most efficient and effective way. A three-year programme of work has been agreed between Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) and the National Council for Sustainable Development (NCSD), with support from the Cambodia Climate Change Alliance, to strengthen Government’s capacity to plan, budget and manage these climate change expenditures.
As part of this programme, tools are being introduced to reflect climate change in national planning and budgeting processes, and to take into account climate change and gender in the prioritization of public investments. Given the importance of the rural development sector in the climate change response, Ministry of Rural Development (MRD) has been selected to pilot this initiative. Following a review of the current status of climate change and gender mainstreaming in the sector conducted in 2017, it is proposed to integrate a climate change lens in the new rural development policy, strategy and action plan to be developed for the period 2019-2023.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main objective of this assignment is to support the Ministry of Rural Development to integrate climate change in the new July 2018- June 2023 Rural Development Policy, Strategy and Action Plan, and their Budget Strategic Plan. The final documents shall reflects MRD’s objectives to contribute simultaneously to Cambodia climate change and economic growth objectives with a view to also being gender sensitive.
The international consultant will be responsible (lead) for the following tasks:
- Conduct initial consultations and research, and support the development of a detailed work plan and approach.
- Support the drafting process and consultations for the development of climate-responsive and gender sensitive Rural Development Policy, Strategy and Action Pla
- Support finalization of a climate-responsive and gender sensitive Rural Development Policy, Strategy and Action Plan
- Support the translation of the plan into MRD’s Budget Strategic Plan 2019-21
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in rural development, water/sanitation, rural infrastructures, agriculture or closely related subjects
- At least 10 years’ experience in development planning and policy, including sector planning, budgeting and policy analysis in developing countries;
- Experience related to climate change adaptation and/or mitigation, climate finance / public investments in infrastructure sectors (irrigation, water/sanitation, roads);
- Experience in Asia-Pacific region or Cambodia will be an advantage;
- Familiarity with climate-responsive planning and budgeting concepts;
- Familiarity with the differential impacts of climate change on men and women
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of Khmer would be an advantage
Interested offeror must read the Individual Consultant (IC) Procurement Notice, which can be viewed at http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=43726 for more detail information about term of references, instructions to offeror, and to download the documents to be submitted in the offer through online.
UNDP reserves right to reject any applications that is incomplete. Please be informed that we don’t accept application submitted via email.