For many developing countries, mineral extraction continues to be an important driver for economic growth with the potential to improve human development outcomes, in line with the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). When managed appropriately, mining can create jobs, spur innovation and bring investment and infrastructure at a game-changing scale over the long term. Yet, if managed poorly, mining can also lead to environmental degradation, displaced populations, increased inequality and social conflict.
The UNDP-SEPA joint global programme “Environmental governance for sustainable natural resource management “draws on the combined governance, environmental and extractive sector management expertise of the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA), UNDP and partners to address environmental challenges and strengthen human rights and the rule of law in governance of mining, for a net positive contribution to development.
The project provides technical support, strengthens integration of human rights and the rule of law in policy making and implementation and supports coordination and cooperation with and between national counterparts, supporting national ownership and nationally-driven sustainable processes. The programme provides capacity development support to Colombia, Mongolia, Mozambique, and Kenya, as well as a broader set of global activities that strengthen South-South and triangular knowledge sharing and communities of practice.
Through this country and global level work, the programme contributes to two main outcomes
- Strengthened institutional capacities in the four targeted countries to manage environmental impacts of the mining sector in line with human rights, gender, and rule-of-law principles;
- Strengthened skills, knowledge, and networks on human rights-based environmental public administration of the mining sector in a broader set of developing countries.
The Programme is managed by and being hosted within the Governance and Peace-building Cluster and the Sustainable Development Clusters BPPS, together with Swedish EPA.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected consultant will report to the EGP Project Manager. There will be an initial briefing for the consultant by the programme team.
Deliverables and indicative working days are expected from the contracted party as follows:
- Revise communication strategy and action plan and develop a strategic outreach plan for future partner: 3 days (March 2018)
- Lead timely implementation of action plan: 47 working days (December 2018)
- Prepare a communication kit that includes at a minimum a graphic profile, promotion material/flyers, a website, and a promo-film about the project: 20 working days
- Ensure that relevant content is capture and shared in a timely manner on appropriate internal / external platforms and channels to enhance the visibility of the EGP work: 10 working days
- Coordinate the editing, design and publication of 2 knowledge and advocacy products: 10 working days
- Support distribution and dissemination of relevant knowledge products; plan, develop and launch campaigns and roll-out strategies: 20 working days
- Support to editing and proofing of written material and substantive inputs to annual report: 5 working days
- Draft four quarterly news updates, press releases and inputs for internal and external newsletters on a needs basis: 5 working days
- Update and maintain emailing lists/list serve and/or database of contacts to support the EGP outreach and partnership-building efforts: 5 working days
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in development studies, comparative politics, communications, journalism, international relations or other relevant field. (Required)
Years of experience:
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in an international/development context. (Required)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Other languages, Spanish and Swedish is a plus.
The application package containing the following (to be uploaded as one file):
- Online application with brief description of why the candidate considers her/himself the most suitable for the assignment; and
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects and specifying the relevant assignment period (from/to),
- Email and telephone contacts of at least three (3) professional references.
Please attach or provide links to at least 2 samples of previous work/publications in your application preferably related to this assignment showing experience in conducting research in and formulating knowledge products and proven ability to write well and concisely, and to synthesize large amounts of supporting material.