Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is an international humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years.
HIJRA with funding from the UNHCR in Uganda is implementing a multi-Sectoral Program for refugees in Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro district), Nakivale settlement (Isingiro district) and Matanda Transit Center (Kanungu district). HIJRA, in a strategy to expand existing program implementing team, is now seeking for a qualified person willing to offer Humanitarian services in the position of WASH Assistant to be based in Matanda – Kanungu District.
The Job holder under the supervision of the Camp Manager will, contribute to program planning, administration, implementation, monitoring and the evaluation of program/project activities, including teamwork and capacity building.
The post holder will be responsible to the Camp Manager.
- Consolidate and provide technical guidance and support to Volunteers on all WASH-related issues to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and environmental soundness in their implementation.
- Act as a focal point on water, sanitation and hygiene promotion issues in the Transit Centre.
- Review performance, monitor development and evaluate WASH approaches adopted in the TCs.
- Review on a regular basis the quantity and quality of water and sanitation services offered in the camps and host communities and ensures the maintenance of records of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion performance indicators for all locations.
- Put measures in place to ensure that regular and accurate reports that analyse the challenges encountered in providing water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services for beneficiaries are prepared and circulated and that periodic reports required by HIJRA at all levels are submitted in a timely manner.
- Play role in overseeing any constructions that may be undertaken at the Transit centre.
Ensure WASH needs are adequately addressed in the Transit Center.
Undertake other duties as assigned by the Camp Manager.
Competencies, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· Degree/advanced diploma in water and sanitation engineering/water resources development or Degree/advanced diploma in public health with wide experience in WASH software.
· At least 2 years’ experience directly relevant to the current position in an international humanitarian organization dealing with large scale emergencies or displaced/refugee situations focusing on WASH software.
· Ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activities to achieve a common objective in the area of WASH is essential.
· Demonstrated experience in organizing and conducting training activities and information campaigns in the areas of environmental sanitation, natural resources management, water quality, bore-hole drilling, vector control and appropriate technologies are important elements for this post.
· Proven technical expertise in the area of WASH assessment including surveys, program implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and coordination is required.
· Proficiency in basic computer software such as MS Access, excel, powerpoint, word, and water modelling software, GIS.
Qualified Candidates are requested to submit an Application letter and Curriculum Vitae including telephone and emails contacts of three referees including your current/most recent employer.
Applications, addressed to the:
Country Program Manager
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief AID (HIJRA)
P.O. Box 37703, Kampala, Uganda
Should be sent by email to: [email protected]. The subject line should read WASH Assistant.
Applications must be submitted not later than close of business on 29th January, 2018
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
For more information regarding the organization please visit our website www.hijra.or.ke. HIJRA is an equal opportunity employer.
NB: The Contract duration for the position is 4 months.