Start Date: Fall 2016
Office: remote (must be physically based in the U.S.)
Job Type: Freelancer 1099
Remuneration: Based on experience
Development Role – estimated at 80% LoE
The Development and Policy Officer in North America is responsible for directing all aspects of EcoPeace’s fundraising efforts and programs in North America. The officer will work together with the development department based in the region to develop advanced fundraising strategies and campaigns, research new methods of fundraising and determine feasibility of new fundraising initiatives in North America.
The officer should build upon and expand the prospective pool of donors to EcoPeace. The officer will develop a database of potential North American donors, cultivate relationships, author and review grant proposals, supervise e-mail campaigns, and develop and manage all fundraising events in North America. The approach to fundraising should be the development of dynamic relationships between EcoPeace and potential philanthropic partners designed from the start to support EcoPeace’s mission, vision and strategy.
Strengthen relationships with existing donors and look to develop new opportunities with private individuals, foundations, communities, companies, etc. by
- Develop and maintain a donor database and all donor communication through NetSuite.
- Identify all relevant foundations and engage with 20-30 of these foundations within the initial four months of employment.
- Engage 4-5 new foundations in discussions of possible support for EcoPeace’s work within the initial four months of employment.
- Engage 4-5 new individuals of high net worth in discussions of possible support for EcoPeace’s work within the initial four months of employment.
Collaborate with the Directors in the region and the International Advisory Committee (IAC) chair to create a development plan to significantly increase revenues and support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Develop and implement an approved development plan in accordance with ethical fundraising principles within the first two months.
- Work with the organization’s development team in the region to streamline the fundraising agenda and methods.
- Develop engagement opportunities and a plan for IAC activities for the next year to secure further fundraising opportunities (within the first 6 month)
- Obtain firm commitments of $1M in donations within the first 12 months.
Monitor and evaluate fundraising activities in North America to ensure achievement of fundraising goals.
- Monitor trends in the sector and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Develop and manage all special activities related to fundraising in North America. (ie: dinner/gala) – One event per year with the objective to raise awareness and a net of $200,000 of funds.
Build relationships with religious leaders and congregations to advance support and secure funding related to the Jordan River Rehabilitation project.
- Develop a plan to attract North American religious leaders and congregations to financially support Jordan River rehabilitation efforts in cooperation with regional program staff (within 6 month)
- Conduct presentations at 20 congregations for fundraising purposes($5-10K per event and 20% should provide long term continued support)
Policy Support estimated at 20% LoE
Support EcoPeace’s efforts in North America to rebuild trust in the broader peace process and advance investments in concrete programs related to water and other infrastructure solutions on the ground in the Middle East. The expectations are that the officer support and engage through and together with other likeminded advocacy organizations in the US Congress, World Bank, UN, as well as think tanks, NGO’s and the media in North America in close cooperation with the regional offices, the Global Center of Expertise as it is developed and IAC chair.
- Respond to media inquiries and proactively seek opportunities to increase awareness of EcoPeace in North America.
- Work with likeminded advocacy organizations to build relationships with Congressional staff and members to help promote EcoPeace projects.
- Support EcoPeace efforts with the World Bank, UN agencies, think tanks, NGOs and other relevant organizations especially when EcoPeace leadership from the region is visiting North America
- Brief the Middle East Director’s and the International Advisory Committee on North American policy matters related to the region, and environmental peacemaking, water and other relevant topics.
- Support to develop and build partnerships for the organization in North America; understand projects thoroughly and work collaboratively to inform policy strategies throughout the organization.
- A minimum of five years successful fundraising with major donor relations experience with a proven track record of fundraising annually several million US dollars.
- A sufficient level of advocacy experience in the US and sufficient prior knowledge of issues related to the Middle East Peace Process and/or international environment and water issues required to undertake the policy role.
- BS in communication, government affairs, political science, public policy, international relations or similar degree required, MA strongly preferred.