UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. For more details, please visit www.unicef.org
For every child, a better future…
Hosted by UNICEF, Sanitation and Water for All, (SWA) is a global partnership of governments, external support agencies, civil society organizations and the private sector, united in their commitment to delivering universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals. Established in 2010, the SWA partnership works towards this goal by strengthening collaboration, improving performance, ensuring mutual accountability and seeking increased political support and financing for WASH. The partnership is governed by a Steering Committee, elected by its members. UNICEF is a founder member of SWA, sits on SWA’s Steering Committee, and has hosted SWA’s Secretariat since 2010.
Over the years, Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) has grown and now includes 47 member states, 127 civil society members and 20 external support agencies. As SWA matures it is refining its governance structure to strengthen its effectiveness and accountability,
As part of this process, SWA is now seeking a highly-qualified individual who will provide strategic direction and leadership to the partnership and manage SWA’s secretariat. Hosted and administered within UNICEF, the Principal Adviser (Chief Executive Officer, SWA) will report substantively to the Chair of the SWA Steering Committee and Director, Programme Division, UNICEF. The position is based in NY, USA.
How can you make a difference?
You will provide strategic leadership to the SWA partnership, compatible with its vision and high-level objectives. You will manage SWA’s Secretariat and oversee all operational, executive and fundraising activities, working closely with SWA’s Chair and Steering Committee.
You will be an influential and powerful advocate for SWA, representing the partnership in high level meetings and events, whilst supporting its Steering Committee to define and achieve its strategic objectives whilst ensuring accountability to all its members.
People and Talent Management
- Heading SWA’s Secretariat, you will ensure it has the structure, systems, staff and financial resources to perform effectively and efficiently
- You will establish and strengthen cooperative relationships with all SWA constituencies and partners, and with other global partnerships building networks, harnessing information and mobilizing opportunities to benefit SWA.
You will build and maintain effective working relationships with SWA’s members and its Steering Committee, Chair, its Secretariat, its Host Organization, working groups, country/regional offices and beyond SWA, other key stakeholders supporting SDG 6.
- You will establish strategies and plans for resource mobilization, working with SWA Chair and Steering Committee to secure financial commitments and resources from a wide set of donors, ensuring that donor relations are maintained through accounting for expenditure in accordance with UNICEF rules and regulations and specific contribution agreements, and through appropriate and timely reporting of expenditure.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in social sciences, international law or other related degree to SWA field is required.
- A minimum of 12 (twelve) years of experience at the national and international levels demonstrating significant strategic leadership, organizational management, financial acumen, partnership building, communication and negotiation skills, obtained in a relevant international setting is required.
- Advanced understanding of the significance of sanitation and water supply in the context of the SDGs, and related global and regional tends is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge other official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or local languages is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- Diversity and inclusion
To view our competency framework, please click here.
- Delivers Results
- Engages and Nurtures
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness
- Manages Complexity and Change
- Creates and Maintains Impact and Partnership
- Innovates and Takes Risks
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Opening Date Wed Jan 24 2018 15:00:00 GMT+0100 (CET) Eastern Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Feb 22 2018 05:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)