Stillwater Sciences seeks a highly motivated, senior-level environmental scientist based in Portland, OR to contribute to and help expand business in the Pacific Northwest. This position will be responsible for technical leadership, business development, project management, data analysis, report writing, staff supervision, scope and budget preparation, and the review of work performed by others. Stillwater will consider applicants from a variety of disciplines including fisheries biology, aquatic ecology, wetland science, geomorphology, hydrology, restoration ecology, or related fields. The successful applicant will be able to work across disciplines in a collaborative work environment.
About Stillwater Sciences:
Stillwater Sciences (www.stillwatersci.com) is an environmental consulting firm specializing in scientifically-based solutions to aquatic, terrestrial, and watershed resource management. We assist government agencies, NGOs, and private clients with environmental problem solving, planning, and permitting using a multi-disciplinary approach that integrates physical and biological processes. We have 60 dedicated and enthusiastic employees located along the West Coast in six main offices. We maintain a collaborative work environment that promotes productive and rigorous applied scientific research. We pride ourselves on defining and shaping our individual careers in a way that provides a healthy rhythm of work and life responsibilities. Success at Stillwater requires a healthy blend of passion, initiative, commitment, flexibility, and teamwork. Stillwater Sciences is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and recently began an employee ownership transition process.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead business development through marketing, project and client management, and proposal preparation
- Provide technical leadership on projects as a senior scientist
- Develop study designs and implementing projects with support staff
- Analyze, interpret and document aquatic resource data
- Maintain an understanding of current scientific approaches and methods
- Manage projects on time and within budget
- Represent Stillwater in public forums on technical and resource management issues
- Participate in interdisciplinary teams and advisory groups for watershed assessment, resource inventory, impact analysis, and natural resource management planning projects
- Provide lead authorship on technical reports
- Perform senior review of technical reports
- Mentor junior staff
Qualifications and Skills
- MS or PhD in Fisheries Biology, Aquatic Ecology, Hydrology, Geomorphology or a related discipline
- 10+ years of Pacific Northwest experience in a watershed-related technical field
- Proven ability to attract and maintain new clients in the Pacific Northwest
- Demonstrated excellence with verbal and written communications
- Strong interpersonal skills
- An aptitude for working independently as well as with collaborative stakeholder driven projects
- Pacific Northwest permitting and regulatory compliance experience
- Willingness to travel and work long hours in the field or office to meet project needs
- Strong relationships or demonstrated collaboration with academic scientists preferred;
- Experience with some of the following: fish population sampling techniques, hydrological measurements, stream channel assessment, instream flow studies, river restoration and enhancement, aquatic habitat assessment, water quality measurements, SEPA/NEPA/ESA/FERC regulations.
Availability, Compensation and Application Details:
- Full-time position with benefit package.
- Occasional out-of-town work required (field, meetings, and conferences).
- Stillwater Sciences provides a competitive compensation package including a 401(k) plan and full health and dental care.
- Please send a cover letter with a resume, and writing sample in MS word or PDF format
- Please write “Portland Senior Environmental Scientist” in the subject line.
- Resumes without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered.
- Position will remain open until filled.