Responsibilities and tasks
- Lead application of remote sensing and Geospatial information for assessment of water resources, developing application for DRR and capacity building in the region.
- Lead application of remote sensing and geospatial technology in support of water resources and DRR activities including flood and land slide monitoring and early warning,
- Develop analytical tools, methodologies, and applications using optical and RADAR remote sensing and GIS,
- Lead development and dissemination of user oriented sustainable services for water resources and DRR activities in the region
- Coordinate with ICIMOD’s internal programmes/initiatives, and partners in the region to promote geospatial technology in support of water resources and DRR related activities,
- Prepare documents (work plans, scientific reports, progress reports, communication materials) on the project activities and lead publication of peer reviewed journal articles on relevant works,
- Develop training curricula, training manuals and other necessary training materials on use of geospatial technology in the field for water resources and DRR,
- Coordinate international and regional forum/training/ workshops/conferences on the in the field of water resources and DRR,
- Assist to develop concept papers and project proposals on various themes specific to water resources and DRR as per needed;
- Coordinate with regional and international agencies to support rapid response mapping during emergency,
- Represent ICIMOD in relevant forums, conferences, workshops as and when required
- Work as a forward thinking, creative team player within ICIMOD to support other activities and promote institutional goals
- Post graduate academic degree in Geoinformatics or related subjects as minimum qualification requirement and at least eight years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience using remote sensing and geospatial information for water resources research, use of optical and microwave remote sensing and application development for disaster risk reduction, and geohazards monitoring and early warning.
- Demonstrated understanding of mountain hydrological cycle, flood and landslide processed in the HKH region.
- Proven record of publications in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Experience in programming such as Python, Java script and R.
- Cross cultural impact: Develops and uses a broad range of work-related relationships across various cultures and integrates the best practices from different cultures.
- Result Orientation: Generates strategic results within and outside the organization leading to increased outcome and impact and takes calculated risks to achieve long term goals
- Team work and cooperation: Builds cross functional and cultural project teams to achieve results and provides information to and share resources with other units to make decisions collaboratively.
- Behavioral flexibility & managing change: Implements and drives change and gives the right example how to change behavior. Gives others feedback on the way they react to changing circumstances
- Strategic thinking: Creates strategies to achieve long terms goals and works across the organization to achieve results. Develop stakeholder relationships and meet employee commitment.
- Impactful communication: Ensures effective channels of communication between and across organizational units. Persuades others without relying on status or authority
- Continuous improvement & Innovation: Demonstrates ability to use new technologies and pro-actively comes up with innovative approaches. Translates developments in the outside world into opportunities for ICIMOD
- Developing others: Demonstrates the ability to lead and advocate the development towards continuous learning culture. Gives others feedback and discusses possibilities for personal development.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 13 Feb 2018 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.