WWF is the world's largest conservation organization, with presence in over 100 countries and over 5 million supporters.
For more than half a century, we working to protect the world's species and natural places, pushing for a more sustainable world. By working with local communities, governments, businesses, and other NGOs we are defining new ways of working that will make a difference at a scale that matters to help redefine humanity’s relationship with the planet.
WWF Bulgaria is seeking to hire an experienced and motivated individual for the position of Freshwater Expert to join the Conservation department to contribute to our Freshwater conservation and protection efforts.
The job holder will be responsible for:
- Providing highly professional expertise for the delivery of activities in the field of freshwater conservation and restoration, and in particular on the following topics:
- changes of longitudinal river connectivity (fish migration barriers, small scale hydroelectric power plants)
- extraction of sand and gravel from river beds, banks and floodplains
- navigation, shipping
- obstructions to the water flow (drinking water catchments)
- changes of river morphology and other activities in the field.
- implementation of assigned freshwater conservation activities
- planning relevant expert activities in at the project development phase
- drafting proposals for work priorities in their field
- ensuring external advisory expertise in the relevant field
- maintaining and making contacts and liaising with relevant stakeholders
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Master's degree in the field of hydrotechnical engineering, hydro-meliorative construction, water management and protection, hydrobiology, hydroecology or equivalent discipline
- At least three years of professional experience in planning and practical implementation of activities related to conservation, restoration and inventory of water bodies (research, reconstruction, modernization and operation of engineering projects for conservation of freshwater / water bodies, exploration, restoration of water streams, wetlands)
- Experience in interacting with different stakeholders concerned in the field of water conservation and exploitation
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Very good computer skills
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team
- The opportunity to make a difference – for Bulgaria and for WWF
- Challenging and fulfilling work in one of Europe’s most exciting eco-regions
- Friendly and highly professional working atmosphere in an international context
- Varying tasks and independent work style
- A pleasant working atmosphere and great learning environment
- A competitive salary according to NGO standards
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your CV and cover letter in English to the attention of Tsveta Petrushinova, HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4 February 2018.
Please understand that we can only reply to short-listed candidates. For more information about WWF, kindly check our website: http://wwf.bg.