Northrop Grumman’s greeNG Environmental Sustainability Program has an immediate opening on the Corporate Program Team for an Environmental Sustainability Specialist. The successful candidate will have a passion for the environment, experience leading environmental sustainability initiatives in a corporate setting, and a technical background that aids in understanding the connection of our business to the environment. The individual is a strategic thinker who sees the opportunity to turn new ideas into successful initiatives.
The Environmental Sustainability Specialist will work closely with our business units to ensure achievement of our 2020 goals (greenhouse gas emissions, water, and solid waste), develop strategies and lead goal setting for beyond 2020, and collaborate on new initiatives that expand the scope of environmental sustainability within Northrop Grumman.
Key functional responsibilities include:
• Manage 2020 goal performance through coordinating multi-year project and investment plans, analyzing measured footprint performance trends, and identifying initiatives that will ensure goal achievement.
• Lead the development of the program’s long range strategic plan including leading the process for developing our beyond-2020 program vision, goals, and objectives.
• Coordinate activities related to our value chain including evaluation of Scope 3 greenhouse gas emissions, development of CDP Supply Chain responses and other value chain requests regarding environmental sustainability, and working closely with the environmental compliance manager to support our Global Supply Chain organization.
• In partnership with the Program Manager, develop product stewardship framework to educate and engage with internal stakeholders regarding expectations of our external stakeholders including investors and customers.
• Lead other program activities as needed to support the broader greeNG program team. Activities may include leading initiatives in green IT practices, innovation challenges to engage employees, or environmental footprint data management.
• BS Degree in a related discipline with 5 years of experience or 3 years of experience with Master’s degree
• Relevant environmental sustainability experience or experience in integrating environmental sustainability into business operations
• Must exhibit willingness to stay current with new developments in environmental sustainability
• Proven ability to collaborate and build teams across multiple domains
• Strong verbal, written, and computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite), including the creation and delivery of professional presentations
• Demonstrated ability to independently prioritize, plan, and execute in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment while maintaining high quality results
• Must demonstrate strong ethics, influence and negotiation, interpersonal skills, communication, and engage in continuous learning
• Must be able to travel and work out of the office
• Degree with an engineering, environmental sciences, and/or environmental sustainability focus
• Work experience in a manufacturing and production focused organization
• Understanding and experience with the unique priorities of our customers as they relate to the environment, climate, and global security
• Understanding of life cycle thinking, cradle to cradle principles, and LCA methodologies