WHAT IS THE WORLD YOUTH PARLIAMENT FOR WATER?
The World Youth Parliament for Water is a network of young people acting for water. We are active in more then 80 countries, with as mission to advocate for youth participation in the water sector, and to implement concrete actions for water. We act at all levels: from our local communities, where we implement concrete actions and lay the foundations for universal access to water and sanitation, to the United Nations General Assembly, where we advocate for youth participation in the water sector. Facebook @world.youth.parliament.for.water
WHAT IS THE INTERNATIONAL SECRETARIAT FOR WATER?
The International Secretariat for Water (ISW) is an NGO based in Montreal that conducts field work, advocacy and awareness-raising around the world. We bring together citizens and organizations that are actively committed to the cause of water. The ISW is committed to ensuring universal access to safe drinking water and sanitation while preserving resources for future generations. www.sie-isw.org
WHY A GENERAL ASSEMBLY?
Every 3 years, young talented persons from all over the world are gathered during one week to work together shaping and sharing youth perspectives for a more sustainable future regarding water and sanitation. This week is also an opportunity to renew the membership of the network and to elect new representatives for the network. Taking part to WYPW means being willing to be committed for water through WYPW network for the next 3 years. A general Assembly means also concrete actions, working with experts, cultural discoveries, intense work and discussion, few hours of sleep, fun and new friendships. The theme of the General Assembly will be Water and Peace.
WHAT IS THE WORLD WATER FORUM?
The World Water Forum is the world’s biggest water-related event and is organized by the World Water Council (WWC), an international organization that brings together all those interested in the theme of water. The World Water Forum contributes to the dialogue of the decision-making process on water at the global level, seeking to achieve the rational and sustainable use of this resource. Given its political, technical and institutional scope, one of the Forum’s main features is the open, democratic participation of actors drawn from different sectors, making it an event of the greatest importance on the international agenda.
The World Water Council organizes the Forum every three years together with the respective host country and city. To date, there have been seven editions of the World Water Forum, in different countries, on four different continents. In 2018, Brazil will be hosting the 8th edition of the World Water Forum. It will be the first time the event is held in the Southern Hemisphere.
OBJECTIVES OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
- Valorize the local actions of youth active for water.
- Expand the knowledge of the youth on water related issues and give them proper tools to be better actors for water.
- Create ties between the different youth initiatives and allow new, concrete actions to emerge.
- Define a vision to contribute to the international agenda of the water sector.
- Renew the representatives of WYPW
WHEN AND WHERE
- Brasilia, March 16 – 23, 2018. In the framework of the 8th World Water Forum.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Young people between 18 and 27 years old from all over the world.
- Involvement in the water or sanitation sector (national, regional or international levels)
- Motivation and interest
- Added value for the network
- Gender and geographical balance
COST AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Covered by the organizers:
- Local transportation
- Accommodation and food
- Activities and program expenses
- Entrance fees to the World Water Forum when needed
Covered by the participants*:
- International transportation
- Visa expenses (if necessary)
- Insurance (mandatory)
*Organisers will help the selected participants in finding scholarships to cover their expenses, but cannot guarantee the funding.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS FEBRUARY 5