Responsible for managing complex research projects. Using an advanced knowledge of research methodology and techniques, assists in the planning and development of survey instruments, guidelines and procedures to collect required data. Coordinates various aspects of the study. Drafts and may edit text for studies. Analyzes data, identifies data discrepancies and researches and identifies causes. May perform statistical analysis of numerical data. Actively contributes to the development of research protocols. Determines how research methodologies or tools must be modified. Ensures that study data and systems are maintained and accurately documented. Analyzes data and develops reports to assess or monitor study performance and treatment results. Coordinates and conducts special meetings and presentations. Coordinates computer support for ancillary studies conducted at off-site locations. Collaborates on reports and papers. Assists in the preparation of tables and graphs for publication and presentation. May design and develop databases related to specific programs at the request of supervisor and/or Principal Investigator. Performs related responsibilities as required.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience working and running research studies in low-income settings
• Familiarity with database management and statistical analysis software
• Portuguese fluency and strong plus
• Laboratory experience preferred
• Ability to travel frequently and/or stay for extended periods in Mozambique
ADDITIONAL JOB DETAILS:
We are seeking a candidate with advanced knowledge of research methodology and techniques to manage a complex NIH-funded randomized trial on the health impacts of a large community water supply project in Mozambique. Position supports development of and adherence to laboratory and field protocols related to water quality testing, environmental sampling, household surveys, biological sampling. Oversees relationships with in-country collaborators and field staff.
Under the supervision of the PIs, the Research Manager will:
• Develop field protocols, including household data collection, water quality sampling, environmental sampling, biological sampling
• Support piloting of protocols
• Ensure compliance of study team to protocols and modify protocols as needed
• Develop data collection tools and establish and manage databases
• Liaise with laboratory and field staff to ensure proper documentation and recording of study data
• Ensure compliance with relevant ethical review board approvals and update protocols and approvals as required
• Conduct formative research
• Provide training for related health workers and community volunteers on the monitoring and evaluation system of the project.
• Develop work plans, detailed implementation plans and monitoring of project activities
• Actively participate in survey activities as liaison to data collection teams
• Handle the electronic data capture system for WASH interventions process monitoring and observational and outcome data at the field level;
• Liaise with government agencies, collaborators and community stakeholders in Mozambique and document all relevant meetings and decisions
• Support cleaning and analysis of data using statistical applications (SPSS, STATA, Epi-Info)
• Assist in identifying, documenting, disseminating best practices in the project;
• Ensure the implementation of activities, as planned;
Master’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Sociology, and Psychology or related discipline and two years of professional level research experience, OR equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. Excellent oral and written communication skills. DATE CREATED/MODIFIED/REVIEWED: 07/23/2008 JAK