The Water Resources Management Division (WRMD) of RTI International is a team of water resources engineers and scientists that provide environmental science solutions and leading-edge technology products to address the increasing demand for environmental decision support in an ever-changing world. Our core areas of technical expertise include hydrological and hydraulic modeling; river basin modeling, monitoring, and data analysis; watershed management; forecasting for flood, drought, and natural resources management; hydrologic hazards risk assessment, consequences analysis, and mitigation; climate change impact on water resources and adaptation methodologies; hydro-economics and ecosystems services; data management, systems integration, and web application development; and decision support systems (DSS). WRMD’s vision is “To be a global leader in water security; providing sustainable solutions through effective water resources management”.
This candidate will lead a team responsible for developing and executing our water resources business development strategy within RTI’s Environment and Health Sciences (EHS) Research unit. Responsibilities will include leading business development, establishing and maintaining key client and partner relationships, and directing proposal activity from early capture phases through proposal submission. Key requirements are technical expertise in one or more strategic water resource domains (hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, flood forecasting, reservoir operations, watershed sciences, water quality management, and climate risk/mitigation) along with established relationships within key funding agencies. Successful candidates identify, qualify, and capture new business opportunities as necessary to achieve growth goals for the division. This position will be based Fort Collins, CO, RTP, NC or Washington, DC.
This person will support WRMD staff in a range of activities including but not limited to:
• Directing a team to develop and implement a long-term water resources business development strategy encompassing both domestic and international markets
• Establishing and maintaining relationships with partner organizations, technical and trade representatives, and government agencies as well as both existing and target customers
• Attending conferences, symposia and other professional meetings to communicate RTI capabilities and experience, broaden external contacts, and track market trends
• Screening and documenting business development and proposal activities in RTI’s contact and opportunity management system
• Communicating directly with contacts and clients including potential travel to locations to gather technical inputs for proposals; identify local partners; meet with donors, potential beneficiaries, and stakeholders; and help recruit project personnel
• Leading, planning, preparing, and reviewing major proposals
• Tracking and evaluating emerging market opportunities and identifying pathways to organizational growth beyond existing capacities
• Providing oversight of Account Management functions and coaching staff as necessary to enhance business development activities
• Maintaining accountability for reaching sales, revenue, and growth targets
• Mentoring technical staff in performing business development activities
• Providing direct supervision and direction to business development team
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
• PhD in Engineering, Environmental Science, etc. with a focus on water resources management and a minimum of 10 years of technical expertise in one or more of strategic water resource domains (hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, flood forecasting, reservoir operations, watershed sciences, water quality management, and climate risk/migration) or equivalent education/experience (i.e. Master’s degree and 14 years or Bachelor’s degree and 20 years).
• Demonstrated track record of success in business development, proposal development, and project / program management
• Proven ability to effectively plan and implement strategic business plans, including formation and cultivation of strategic alliances in the environmental/ water resources sector.
• Experience working with and demonstrated understanding of international and domestic funding agencies preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
• Critical and strategic thinker, able to identify issues and opportunities, provide solutions and reach consensus with multiple stakeholders
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to interact with a diverse and cross-cultural candidate and client population
• Demonstrated successful track record in building relationships with international clients; ability to interact effectively and positively with all levels of internal and external clients and colleagues
• Ability to work independently and collaborate with others to incorporate and enhance technical capital outside area of primary expertise
• Excellent interpersonal, networking and presentation skills
• Ability to travel to international locations
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure
• Ability to provide vision for the business development team and guide the team to meet goals and expectations
• Fluency in one or more foreign languages is highly desirable
Relevant writing samples may be requested. Must be able to work in the U.S. without requirement of sponsorship.