Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Programme Analyst (SD) analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within the Sustainable Development portfolio in Kuwait.
He/she contributes to policy dialogue with the government counterparts providing policy advisory services as well as supporting the identification of top-notch national and international economic practitioners to further this dialogue.
The Programme Analyst supervises programme support staff and provides guidance to project staff in the thematic area. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams, Project staff, programme staff in other UN Agencies, and UNDP HQs staff. The Programme Analyst also seeks close coordination of project activities with UN agencies in Kuwait, where relevant
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implementation of programme strategies for Sustainable Development.
- Management of the CO programme as it relates to this thematic area
- Creation of strategic partnerships
- Provision of top quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Ensures implementation of Sustainable Development programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to all office planning tools, instruments and documents.
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the practice area specialization assigned.
- Ensure the effective management of the Sustainable Development CO programme within the practice area specialization assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Design and formulation of some parts of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to Project Advisory Committees, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, timely preparation of project boards, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval (if authorized by Senior Management), participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Provides guidance to new project staff on Results Based Management, project management and UNDP rules and regulations, in line with POPP, the Country Office ICF and SOPs, and supports projects in finding solutions to operational obstacles
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Supports preparation of audits (NIM, DIM and management audit) in the area of Governance
- Performs quality control, monitors and advises on the compliance of the Sustainable DevelopmentPortfolio with the corporate planning and performance monitoring tools and identifies the remedial actions;
- Participates in the preparation and update the annual integrated workplan as it relates to the Governanace portfolio and porvides the related reporting on results (IWP and ROAR as well as any other reports requested by the partners).
- Ensure the application of Results Based Management for all Sustainable Developmentportfolio projects and ensures the development and tracking of indicators
- Supports creation of strategic partnerships focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on partners, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in partnership building and advocacy.
- Provides advisory services to the Government and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within specific areas of cooperation. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships in line with the country programme.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in environmental science, natural resources management, environmental economics, political or social sciences or related field.
- 0 – 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on;
- experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Demonstrated exposure and experience in sustainable development issues particularly strong familiarity with energy, environment, climate change and management of natural resources in the context of international development is most desirable and will be deemed a strong comparative advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic